Summary: When it comes to His purpose in life, Jesus is no carpenter’s son.
A Lesson from the First Family
1. Possible, even probable, people see you in several different ways.
May see as patient, some as hot-head. Only you know truth. Why
don’t we recognize true nature of other people? Maybe simply
forgetting. Mary upset with Jesus for staying behind. Angrily says
“Wait til your father Joseph hears about this.” Jesus replies
“Didn’t you know I would be in MY Father’s house.”
2. Bill Cosby spoof - Lone Ranger/Tonto. What mean WE, white
3. Subtle shift between Mary’s “your father” & Jesus’ “My Father”
When going gets tough, Tonto ain’t no white man & when it comes
to Jesus purpose in life, he’s no carpenter’s son.
4. today, based on this story of Lord & his family, I’d like us to
reflect together on being child, parent, & family relationships.
5. We’d like to know more about Jesus’ childhood & growing up.
Most parents like to know what it’s like to raise perfect, sinless
child. No terrible 2’s, no tantrums, no back talk. Teenagers want to
know-Did he have pimples? Kind of music did he listen to? Was he
like “really religious”?
6. Luke gives us bare facts. Born in manger, circumcised & named
on eighth day according to custom of his time, brought into Temple
at 40 days as OT law req’d., missing for 3 days & found with
teachers at Temple. If we needed to know more, Luke would’ve
Otherwise can assume he grew up like any other child, playing,
helping out at home, learning the family business.
7. Mary not blinded by son’s behavior. Scolded, then bewildered &
amazed that he’s sitting learning & in dialogue.
8. Luke says “She treasured all these things in her heart.” She’s
upset but sees something meaningful in his actions. 2 well-known
pictures called “The Shadow of the Cross” Holeman Hunt - boy
Jesus at work in carpenter shop, stretches, arms cast shadow of
cross on wall. 2nd depicts boy Jesus running with outstretched
arms to his mother, shadow of cross cast on ground by outstretched
9. Underlying message is true. If we read Gospels as they are, clear
death of Jesus is in view almost from the outset of his life. Very
early we have a hint of the cross.
10. For 3 days Mary felt loss of her son when he had to be about his
Father’s business. Later, she lost him again for 3 days to death &
the grave. Because he had to be about His Father’s business.
11. Moses got 10 commandments, 2 tablets. Tablet #1 starts with a
foundational commandment “Honor God as heavenly father.
Tablet #2 starts with “Honor earthly father & mother.
12. This is the “Honoring Call” Involves respecting authority. 1st
taste of authority child has is parents. To become healthy adult we
must pass through 3 stages of authority. Early childhood - enforced
obedience, Youth - willful obedience, Adulthood - mutual obed.
13. Jesus obviously went through enforced obed. Jesus was now 12,
he was Bar-Mitzvah, meaning he had become a man. Transition
from enforced to willful obed. Parents had more trouble with this
transition period. Angry because he didn’t come home with them.
14. Jesus surprised by their reaction cause he was supposed to be in