Summary: Christian living requires us to trust God every single day
A Matter of Trust
May 2, 1999
I. New car system
A. New highway computer system
1. San Diego - Experimental highway: System of computerized cars and specialized magnetic message devices installed in the road, theory is that the computers and the message devices would drive the car for you, program the destination and let the computer do the rest, this would seem to be slower right, wrong the system is set to drive the car at speeds of 75 mph or more, there is only one problem
2. Matter of trust: Buick engineers have the system in place on test area and state that the technology is sound and will work, they can not get anyone to drive in the special cars, no one will trust the system to work at high speeds, the problem is literally a matter of trust
II. What is trust?
A. Webster - Basic dependence on someone or something, Belief that something will happen or someone will act is a prescribed way
B. Trust is a part of life: Trust is just a part of being alive, we trust is things every single day, it simply can not be avoided, trust seems to be everywhere or at least an impression of trust,
III. Trust is simply defined as having faith
A. Biblical Examples
1. Moses at the Red Sea
2. Joseph in the Pharaoh’s prison
3. David facing down Goliath
4. Jonah in the belly of the whale
5. Peter & John before the Sanhedrin
6. Ananias when God called him go to Saul of Tarsus
B. Is there anybody else up there?
1. Tourist at the Grand Canyon: Man visited the Grand Canyon and while he was looking over the side he slipped, as he fell he caught a scrub bush and held on for dear life,
Man - “Is there anybody up there?”
Voice speaks: “Yes, there is”
Man - “Can you help me? Can you help me?”
Voice - “Yes, I can most likely be of assistance. What is your problem?”
Man - I slipped and fell off of the cliff and I am dangling by this bush”
Voice - I’ll do my best. Do you believe?”
Man - “Yes, I believe!”
Voice - Do you have faith?
Man - Yes I have faith
Voice - Do you trust me?
Man - Yes I trust you!
Voice - Let go of the branch and everything will turn out fine
Man - Is there anybody else up there?
C. Trust and Obey: Trust and Obey, Trust and Obey for there’s no other way to be happy in Jesus but to trust and obey
D. Trust doesn’t come easy: If we were asked - “Do you trust God?” answer would be “Yes, of course” But is it easy - Trusting a God we can not see is not always easy, in fact it is sometimes extremely difficult, why? - several reasons: a.) We are human b.) We like to think that we are in control of things c.) Sometimes we are just too stupid to know better
IV. Things we put our trust in
A. Society calls for our “trust”
1. We put trust in people
2. We put our trust in things
B. Specific examples
1. Banks to care for our money
2. Mechanics to fix and maintain our cars
3. Doctors to heal our illnesses
4. Employers to deliver our paychecks
5. Our legislators to pass fair laws
If we can place our trust is these kinds of things; how much more can we trust God?
V. Main Points
A. God wants us to trust Him: “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me” John 14:1 Jesus calls us to not focus on our life, our difficulties, our pain, Jesus calls for us to trust God, His plan is better than anything we could do