Summary: God by His grace through the Holy Spirit gives a spiritual gift to every believer. Every gift is important. Even the quiet unseen gifts! Every church body needs "All Hands on Deck!"
Cornerstone Church June 26, 2016
“ALL HANDS ON DECK”
1 Corinthians 12:4-7; 14-26
“All hands on deck” – This was an order for everyone on the ship to assemble on deck, perhaps for a Sunday church service, or to convey news to the crew. Its nautical origin should seem obvious, except that in the past few years it’s been shortened to just “all hands” by jargon-loving businesspeople. A company might hold an “all hands” meeting, which requires all employees to attend, for example.
“What the Navy Gave English” Jim Cofer - www.jimcofer.com
“All Hands on Deck” was a call for everyone to participate!
* It was a call to action!
* In the church it is a call to stop being a spectator (consumer).
“College Football Hall of Fame coach Bud Wilkinson popularized a description of the spectator sport of American football: ‘Twenty-two boys on the field badly in need of rest being watched by 40,000 people in the stands badly in need of exercise.’
I (Ray Johnston) heard that and thought, What a great description of the American church! A few people (badly in need of rest) frantically run around, while a vast majority of people (badly in need of exercise) sit in the stands and watch.
…And to live our faith, we go to church and watch preachers preach (wow are you going to be disappointed). The number one need in American Christianity today may be to move Christ-followers from being apathetic spectators to passion-filled participants.”
“Jesus Called: He Wants His Church Back”, Dr. Ray Johnston, pg. 139
Praise the LORD for the testimony and report this morning from the Living Water International Team and their trip to El Salvador.
They are ordinary people who allowed God to do the EXTRAORDINARY through them by the mighty power of the Holy Spirit.
Last week’s message was “Stay the Course”
Our assignment comes from God:
* Reach people for Christ
* Teach / Train those reached to know how to live for Jesus
We are not to allow discouragement or circumstances to knock us off course!
“STAY THE COURSE”
The second part is: “All Hands on Deck”
In order to carry out God’s mission we need help!
Jesus after His return to Heaven sent the Holy Spirit (exactly on time fifty days after the resurrection and ten days after the ascension) on the Day of Pentecost!
* The Comforter (counselor).
* The One who guides and directs us by God’s Word.
* The One who has given a Spiritual Gift to each one of us for the common good of the church (the Body of Christ).
* The One who empowers our efforts when our spiritual gifts are being used.
Without the divine enablement and empowerment of God the Holy Spirit what hope do we have at being successful?
* How else will lives be changed?
* How else will people be set free from sin and bondage?
Our topic this morning is Spiritual Gifts.
Gifts, given to each one of us by God for the following purposes:
* So that we might Glorify God
* So that we might minister to one another
FOR A COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING OF SPIRITUAL GIFTS READ:
* 1 Corinthians 12 – 14
Paul wrote to answer a question raised by the Corinthians.
Now, dear brothers and sisters, regarding your question about the special abilities the Spirit gives us. I don’t want you to misunderstand this.
1Cor. 12:1 NTL
Paul’s answer goes from 1 Corinthians 12:1-1 Corinthians 14:40
Two distinct problems were occurring within the church.
* A lack of unity existed because many were seeking after the experiential sign gifts or showboating the prominent gifts over the less visible gifts.
The result: The quieter gifted people with less visible gifts felt intimidated which prohibited their participation within the church.
* It was difficult to discern the true manifestation of the Holy Spirit within the church from the rituals of the pagan mystery religions in Corinth filled with all sorts of sensational practices.
PAUL GIVES A SIMPLE TEST:
So I want you to know that no one speaking by the Spirit of God will curse Jesus, and no one can say Jesus is Lord, except by the Holy Spirit.
1Cor. 12:3 NLT
THE SOURCE OF SPIRITUAL GIFTS
There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all. There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord. God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us.
1 Cor. 12:4-6 NLT
The call for unity in the Body (based on the tri-unity of God)
* Different Gifts – same Spirit (God the Spirit)