Summary: Abortionists are murdering over one third of this generation of children. It is time that we understand America’s hidden holocaust.
America’s Hidden Holocaust
Preached Sunday Morning October 17, 2004
One of the most talked about human tragedies of history was the slaughter of 6 million Jews by Adolph Hitler and Nazi Germany. How could a civilized country allow the construction and operation of Nazi death camps? Sociologists tell us that only 10% of Germans fully backed Hitler’s radical views. Analyses reveal that Hitler came to power because he promised German prosperity. People were willing to overlook Hitler’s hatred as long as he could empower their beleaguered country. This morning we are going to look at a Holocaust taking place right here, right now in our own country.
Abortion in the United States - Statistics
• There have been over 43 million abortions since 1973.
• The annual number of abortions went from 744,600 in the first year of legalization, to a high of over 1.6 million in 1990. In 1997, there were 1,312,990.
• There were nearly 3,600 abortions per day in 2000, 149 per hour, about one every 24 seconds.
• For every 1,000 live births, there were 306 abortions in 1997.
• There were more that 140,000 second and third trimester abortions in 2000.
• In 2000, more children died from abortion than Americans died in the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, World Wars I and II, the Korean, Vietnam and Gulf Wars combined.
• A survey of women seeking abortions indicated that only 7% of women cited typical “hard cases” (rape, incest, or some health concern with either the baby or the mother) as the primary reason they were seeking abortion.
• A June, 1999 Wirthlin Poll found that 62% of respondents support legal abortion in only three or fewer circumstances: when the pregnancy results from rape or incest, or when it threatens the life of the mother.
• At an average cost of $372, the abortion business is a $400 million a year industry.
• Nearly half of all abortions are obtained by women who have already had at least one abortion. In 1994 and 1995, women who had already had 3 or more abortions obtained
7%, or nearly 100,000, abortions each year.
The center for disease control estimated that there will be 1,312,990 little babies murdered in abortion clinics this year. This means that 25,250 unborn babies are killed every week in the U.S.A. during our one hour worship service, 150 children will lose their lives at the hand of abortionists. There is a hidden holocaust in America.
Our passage this morning refers to the practice of child sacrifice. Jeremiah warns of impending judgment because as little babies would die, the people did nothing to end this horrible practice. It is time for us as Christians and as human beings to do what it takes to end this hidden holocaust!
I. Jeremiah’s warnings echo throughout time
A. Judgment was on the way
26 Then came the word of the LORD unto Jeremiah, saying, 27 Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me? 28 Therefore thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will give this city into the hand of the Chaldeans, and into the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, and he shall take it: 29 And the Chaldeans, that fight against this city, shall come and set fire on this city, and burn it with the houses, upon whose roofs they have offered incense unto Baal, and poured out drink offerings unto other gods, to provoke me to anger.