Summary: The kind of faith the disciple had is the type faith we need all in faith, day by day faith, Flowerer type faith, Living Care type faith.
Apostolic Faith Acts 2:42-47
1. Living the Faith of the Apostles is “All IN Living”
• What does it mean to be “all in,” or devoted?
• In verse 42, we read: “They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.
• All IN Means Totally Committed
• It means Wholeheartedness’ were totally buying In “Not a Fan but a flowerer”
• Complete Surrender
• The text says they were “devoted.” The Greek word means “to continue to do something with intense effort,— to devote oneself to, to keep on, to persist in.”
2. Living the Faith the Apostles had was “Day By Day”
• 46: “Day by day, as they spent much time in the temple … .” “Spent much time” The new Christians devoted themselves to gathering every day at the temple. They persisted, they continued.
• Consider what John wrote In Revelation, the church at Laodicia was criticized for its failure to be “devoted” to the degree that the first Christians were devoted. “I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm — neither hot nor cold — I am about to spit you out of my mouth” (Revelation 3:15-16, NIV). Strong words, but the readers at the time knew exactly what was being said here.
• If we follow Jesus is that we’ve got to be all in. We’ve got to be devoted. We’ve got to be hot!
3. Living the Faith of Apostles was Being a Flowerer Not just a Fan of the Word
• Serious followers of Jesus want to know all they can know. They’re eager to drink at the fountain of knowledge. They are interested in what the Word says.
• Studying Knowing Gods word that’s what we do
• “We keep are ways pure by believing “according to your word” (Psalm 119:9).
• Today we will do this or that of it be the lords will .
• They believed the psalmist words “I treasure your word in my heart so that I may not sin against you” (Psalm 119:11).
• The Epistle of Peter “As newborn infants, long for the pure, spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow unto salvation” (1 Peter 2:2).
• Joshua felt the Word “This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth; you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to act in accordance with all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall be successful” (Joshua 1:8).
4. Living the Faith of the Apostles is Living Care-Filled Life
• Christians are grateful, generous and glorifying people
• “They … ate their food with glad and generous hearts” (v. 46). As they ate together, they did so gladly. They were grateful. They also had generous hearts. They gave to the poor. They sold some of their possessions and donated to the needy. Generous. And they glorified God (v. 47).
5. Finally, Apostolic Faith
• All In Living
• Living Day By Day as if today is the only day
• Living as a follower not a fan but a follower
• Living a Care filled life of gratefulness, generosity, and glorifying Jesus type life