Summary: The biggest threat to churches today is fans who call themselves Christians but they aren’t interested in following Jesus. They want to be close enough to get all the benefits, but not so close that it requires anything from them. Adopted from "Not a Fan"
Are you a Follower of Jesus
• For a lot of us as Christians we dismiss this question because it almost feels redundant or unnecessary.
When it comes to life people generally fall into 2 categories
1. The Jesus Fish on the back of the car group
• These are the people who think the question of are you a follower of Jesus is a no brainer
• So before you tune me out understand I am not asking
• Do you go to church
• Do you own more than 3 Bibles
• Is your ringtone a worship song
• And have you ever appeared in a church directory
Many of us are quick to say Yes I’m a follower of Jesus But I’m not sure we really understand what we are saying.
One of the most sobering passages of scripture tells of a day when many who consider themselves to be followers of Jesus will be stunned to find out that He doesn’t even recognize them.
• Mt 7:21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
Mt 7:22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Mt 7:23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
2. And the why is there a Fish on the back of my friends car group
• These people feel that the question of are you a follower of Jesus
• Isn’t relevant to them
• It’s ok if we are but theyre just not into it
But what if all of life comes down to this one question?
• What if there really is a Heaven and Hell?
• What if where we spend eternity comes down to this one question?
• And what we need to realize is that the reason we are put on this Earth IS to answer this one question.
There’s a lot of people in the #1 group that assume that they are followers of Jesus, but the truth is that they have never heard the unedited version of what Jesus taught about following Him.
After all when we read the Gospels about Jesus inviting people to follow Him, some people signed up, But the majority walked away.
DTR (In our dating relatioships)
It’s time as believers that we Define The Relationship
Because there comes a time in every relationship when we need to define it
• It can be awkward, Uncomfortable
• But it has to be done
• Have things moved past the stage of Infatuation/ Admiration
• To the stage of deeper devotion and dedication
Coffee shop conversation with Jesus
Jesus wants to know
• Is our relationship with Him Exclusive?
• Is it just a casual weekend thing? Or has it moved past that?
• If Jesus was to ask you to Define the Relationship how would you answer that question?
• What exactly is your level of commitment?
And I think are a lot of people in our community and in our churches who would describe themselves as followers
• But there may a more suitable word for them
• They are not Followers they are Fans