Summary: Have you ever asked somebody, “What’s all the fuss about?” As you read this chapter, you might be tempted to ask Paul, “What’s all the fuss about? Why are you spending so much time detailing what to look for in spiritual leaders in the local church?”
Are You a Part of God’s Church?
1. Have you ever asked somebody, “What’s all the fuss about?” As you read this chapter, you might be tempted to ask Paul, “What’s all the fuss about? Why are you spending so much time detailing what to look for in spiritual leaders in the local church?”
2. Paul spent 14 verses, and with great detail he has explained what kind of leaders the church should have in place. Why did Paul feel the necessity to go to such lengths?
3. Verse 15 explains why it is so important. Paul calls it the “church of the living God.”
• The word “church” means “assembly.”
4. Are you part of God’s church? Are you a member of God’s assembly? You say, “I joined CrossRoads five years ago.” This is not what I asked.
5. You see, you can be a member of this church and not be a member of God’s church. Why is this? Because you can fool me, and all the other pastors, and everybody here, but you cannot fool God. God can see a person’s heart. He knows if you are a member of His church.
6. God’s church is composed of all true believers in Jesus Christ. Ephesians 1:22-23
• Paul defines the church as Christ’s body.
• He also taught that every member of God’s church is seated in heavenly places in Christ (Ephesians 2:6). God knows who is truly part of His heavenly church.
7. Local churches should be earthly, visible manifestations of God’s heavenly church. We all come together as believers for the purpose of studying God’s Word, edifying one another, praying for one another, and proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ.
8. The most crucial question that every person must ask himself is not “Am I a member of a local church?” But rather, “Am I member of God’s church?”
9. Every person needs to be a member of God’s church. Why is this? Let’s look at 1 Timothy 3:15.
First, because God only has one church
1. I know that when you talk about church here on earth, you can be referring to a host of different things. There are churches of all different flavors. It can be confusing.
• Illustration: Somebody wakes up Sunday morning and says, “We haven’t been to church in 25 years. Let’s go to church today.” They look in the phone book or online. They will be as confused as a termite in a yo-yo.
2. But God only has one church. Notice it says, “THE house of God,” and “THE church of the living God…” This isn’t confusing at all!
3. Ephesians 4:4 proclaims emphatically, “There is one body…” The body of Christ speaks of a heavenly, called-out assembly of true believers that have been made one with Jesus Christ.
4. You could join every church is this town and be baptized by 100 different churches, but still miss the only one that matters – God’s church. All 100 churches may have different requirements, but God only has one. Galatians 3:26