Summary: This message teaches of the typology of Christ as seen in the O.T. ashes of the red heifer, as well as end time prophecies.
“The Ashes of the Red Heifer”
Dr. Steven G. Cook
A. Please be patient during the first part of this message - Today I
want to speak to you about 4 Things - 1.) The Red Heifer its-
self 2.) The Offering of the Red Heifer 3.) The Ashes of the
Red Heifer 4.) The Cleansing of the Red Heifer
B. How many of you have ever heard of the “Ashes of the Red
Heifer”? Usually not many have.
C. There are only 2 Mentions of the “Ashes of the Red Heifer” -
D. In Numbers 19:10; 21 we read that the “Ashes of the Red Heifer”
were to be a “Perpetual Statute” to the nation of Israel.
E. The Purpose of the ashes are found in vs. 9-“Purification for Sin”
F. The time of the ordination of this statute was when during the 40 yrs. of wilderness wandering - approximately 600,000 Israelites died because of their failure to trust God and enter Canaan - (about 40 people per day) died over the age of 20 yrs. During this time, there was serious ceremonial defilement of Israel who had to bury the dead.
G. In the Mosaic Law there are 613 laws that were given at Mt. Sinai: 248 Mandatory Laws and 365 Prohibitionary Laws.
H. There were 18 Mandatory Laws which dealt with “Ritual Purity”.
I. Numbers 19:14-16 declared that “touching the corpse of a dead person, or even their bone or grave” caused defilement.
J. This defilement lasted 7 days - Num. 19:2-9 instructed Israel of the process of ritual purification which involved the use of the “Ashes of the Red Heifer.”
II. Jewish History of Red Heifer (Talmud Histories)
A. The Talmud is a Jewish History written by former Rabbi’s.
1. Heifer chosen and sacrificed/burned
2. Ashes collected and put into a crock-pot (2-3 gallons)
3. Priest would take a hyssop, place in fresh, running water, take a pinch of ashes, place on the hyssop, sprinkle the sprig of hyssop upon the “unclean person” seven times on the 3rd & 7th day.
4. On the 7th day, the ceremonially unclean person was declared clean.
5. When the “Ashes” were nearly consumed, another Red Heifer was sacrificed, burned, and its ashes “added to” the ashes of the previous heifer or heifers (perpetual statute).
6. From Numbers 19 until AD 69 - there have been 9 such heifers sacrificed.
7. In AD 70, Titus of Rome destroyed Jerusalem’s Temple and ravished the city.
8. Many of the furnishings of the Temple were removed - including the Ark of the Covenant & the Ashes of the Red Heifer.
9. In 1947, in Qumran, a young Arab boy found the Dead Sea Scrolls - including a “copper scroll”.
10. This scroll said that between Jericho & Saccachar there was a cave facing the East which had 2 openings. Explain.
11. Vendel Jones - American archaeologist, found the cave and began to dig - Explain
12. 1st dig - found cave, dug, found new rock, pottery shards
13. 2nd dig - 35 feet back/22 feet deep, Mosaic floor tiles, came back half way and dug 35 feet deep, found pottery shards older than the floor.
14. 3rd dig - found white sand, goat-skin bags with incense, ran out of money again, but was refused permit for 4th dig.