Summary: 4th in a series on Spiritual warfare emphasizing the need to be alert to the enemy's schemes
"Spiritually Aware, Alert, Armed and Aggressive" Pt 4
I. Be Aware
A. Aware of God and His purposes
B. Aware of our Worth and position in Christ
C. Aware of the battlefields
1. Fight with the WORLD -- separation
2. Fight with the FLESH – live by the direction and power of the Spirit
3. Battle with DEVIL and his angels – resist the devil
When we become entangled in the world and loose the battle with the flesh we open ourselves up to even greater control by Satan.
Not only does he influence us from the outside but anytime we choose to walk according to the flesh we give him opportunity to more intense control from the inside.
At this point we now have an intensified battle.
Not only do we have the battle in the area of the soul, but now we have an intensified battle due to demonic influence. (Fist and hand illustration)
We must continually fight against an external foe who desires to establish an operating beachhead in our body and soul from which to bind us and bully us to do according to his will.
This battle cannot be fought or won by yielding or separating.
This battle is waged through direct hand to hand, face to face resisting and confrontation.
D. Be aware of the enemy
Satan was an angel created along with all the other angels to serve and worship God but became proud and ambitious and rebelled against God.
He and his well-organized unseen angel army are thoroughly and eternally corrupted.
They have ungodly personalities and character
Satan is out to prevent or pervert followers of Jesus Christ.
Even though he may win a battle or two in the present, his doom is sure along with any who agree to follow him.
We must be aware that there is a battle that wages around us whether we like it or not.
Those in Iraq may deny there is a war but such denial does not prevent a car bomb from destroying their family.
II. Be Alert
The Scripture instructs us to be continually aware that things are not what they seem.
There is an unseen war against a formidable foe.
A foe that is unbeatable apart from our standing in Christ.
We must also be alert to points of vulnerability and his method of attack.
The bible calls us to be sober and alert.
Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 1 Peter 5:8
We are at war and there is no real rest on the front lines of war.
It is when we lay back and try to carve out a comfortable niche in this life down here that we become open targets and susceptible to the subtle schemes of the evil one.
We must live this life alert and sober not asleep and numbed out.
We develop alertness through the Word and prayer.
A. Alert to broken down walls of protection
God established certain spiritual laws as real and unshakable as the natural laws of physics.
When we violate these laws, we open ourselves up to greater opportunity for Satan’s influence.
Similar to the laws of physics, these consequences come upon believer and unbeliever alike.
You violate the law, you suffer the consequences.
Ignorance of gravity will not protect you when you violate the laws of gravity.
God established natural protection through various means.
1. Living according to the Ways of God (Biblical Morality)
2. Protection of a Strong Family Line
3. Protection of the Church
4. Protection of Government
We live in a culture today where all of these natural protections are fading away.
B. Alert to Avenues of Invasion (Influence)
Before proceeding it would be advantageous to briefly address the issue of demons and Christians.
Main objections to demonic influence in saints
• Light (God) and darkness (evil) can’t dwell in the same place.
• The Bible does not clearly indicate those influenced by demons were Christian or not.
• How can someone be indwelt by the Holy Spirit and an evil spirit at the same time?
• God’s presence is everywhere. Even Satan had access to God’s presence to accuse the saints. The sin we commit and the sin which indwells the flesh is evil in God’s sight and yet He still chooses by His grace to fellowship with us.
• The Bible does not indicate the saved or unsaved state of the person because demonic influence takes place when spiritual principles are violated by believer and unbeliever alike.
Willfully walking in front of an oncoming vehicle will result in my death or great injury regardless of whether I am a believer or not.
• The Holy Spirit and demons do not dwell in the same place and demons more attach than indwell.