Summary: This is a study into the evidence we have to prove the Bible is the truth. That it is the Word of God and should be believed completely.
Can Christianity be proven ?
The fact that many Christians today are scared to stand up for their faith spurs me to try and give you some tools to put into your spiritual toolbox so that we might be effective witnesses for our Lord.
Is there evidence for the truth of Christianity?
Faith is not a powerful belief without evidence, but faith is belief that is based on powerful evidence.
There is resounding clear, visible, obvious proof ; conclusive testimony of the fact that Christianity is indeed valid and true.
** You do not have to throw out your brain when you become a Christian; (believing without evidence)
Christian apologetics ( the defense of the faith)
This word APOLOGIA is used eight times in the new testament.
The classic passage is (1 Peter 3:15) Peter is saying that our faith is not a leap into the dark, but a sensible step into the light. Faith is powerful evidence.
Faith satisfies both the heart and the mind of mankind.
*** People who will not believe is not a matter of the mind but of the will. Not that I can’t believe, but that I won’t believe.
I. If God became man we would expect him to:
A. Have an unusual entrance into life
B. To be without sin
C. Express His supernatural power
D. Expect Him to be different than other men
E. If God became man, Than certainly His words would be the greatest ever spoken.
F. If God became man we would expect him to have universal influence.
G. If God became man then we would expect Him to satisfy the spiritual hunger in man.
H. If God became man then we would expect Him to exercise power over death.
II. The Resurrection -----Hoax or History ?
A. “ The empty tomb of Christ has been the cradle of the Church” , But can it be proven Acts 1:3
1. Prediction of the resurrection
b. The enemies (at the grave during resurrection) (Matt. 28:11-15) , (Matt. 12:15-21)
2. The eyewitnesses accounts ( 1 Cor. 15:5-8) And He was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve.
After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
And last of all He was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
a. His friends. ( Mary m. , Peter ,disciples , Thomas
b. His enemies (at the grave) (Matt. 28:11-15)
3. The actual death of Christ Theories that say Christ did not actually die.
1. The swoon theory --- (says that Jesus just passed out, and then came to in the tomb.)
2. Disciples stole the body-- (These wimpy men who fled at Jesus’ arrest, now willing to die for a lie?)
3. Hallucination ---500 people don’t tell the same lie!, He said touch me, and give me something to eat.
4. Wrong tomb---- everybody had the wrong tomb? Were the angels at the wrong tomb?
4. The empty tomb
A. Friends admitted it
B. Enemies admitted it
C. General population of Jerusalem admitted it ( Acts. 26:26)
5. The guards
6. The grave clothes ( John 20:3-9) (Grave clothes with spices & incense become sticky
7. The stone and seal ( Matt. 27:66)
8. Establishment of the Church ( The resurrection is the establishment of the Church.
9. Worship on the first day of the week (because of the day of resurrection)
10. Reference in secular history A. Early church fathers, B. Josephus --(Jewish Historian)
11. Transformation of the apostles Men who were once scared and running away, after seeing the risen Lord they became bold , enough so that they preached His message to thousands & thousands.
12. Changed lives today
A. Gilbert west & lord Littleton ( set out to disprove Christianity) 1747 they published a book on the
evidences of Christ .
B. Josh McDowell -- “After more than 700 hours of studying this subject, and thoroughly investigating its foundation ; I have come to the conclusion that the resurrection of Jesus Christ is one of the most wicked, vicious ,heartless hoaxes ever played upon the minds of men , or it is the most fantastic fact of history that there has ever been.-------- wrote many books , (who moved the stone) & (evidence that demands a verdict)
C. But the best evidence of all is the change lives in ourselves.
III. Things people use to not draw a conclusion
1. There is no absolute truth. --- Is that absolutely true?
2. That may be true for you but not me. ---Yes to Jesus is true to me.