Summary: WE are looking at sin as a cancer in the text we encounter the cancer of pride, selfishness, anger , and Pharisee Scribe type spirit.
“Cancer Awareness” Mark 10:35-45
A. In the text There is the cancer of Pride Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you.’ When you come into your kingdom we want to set in the place of power and authority
B. Cancer of selfishness 38But Jesus said to them, ‘You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?’ 39They replied, ‘We are able.’we can drink the cup and be baptized with your baptism
C. William Nicholson “Here I am going to say something which may come as a bit of a shock. God doesn't necessarily want us to be happy. He wants us to be lovable. Worthy of love. Able to be loved by Him. We don't start off being all that lovable, if we're honest. What makes people hard to love? Isn't it what is commonly called selfishness? Selfish people are hard to love because so little love comes out of them.”
D. Then we encounter the cancer of anger 41 When the ten heard this, they were angry with James and John
E. And we also encounter the cancer of the Gentile Spirit, Scribe type Spirit, Pharisee Spirit ‘You know that among the Gentiles those whom they recognize as their rulers or the great ones are tyrants over them. 43But it is not so among you; but whoever wishes to become great among you must be your servant, 44and whoever wishes to be first among you must be slave of all. 45For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.’
1. My friends Cancer is Personal so is sin its Personal notice James and John have a cancer it’s Pride
• They ask Jesus “Grant us to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your glory.”
• Unfortunately we all have this cancer Romans 3 when he writes, “There is none righteous, no not one” and continue to drive home this truth when he says, “ALL have sinned.”
• Commercials today teach us to build up the “ME” “"I love what you do for me" (Toyota), "Just do it," (Nike), "Be all that you can be" ((US Army), "You deserve a break today" (McDonald's), "You're Worth It" (Loreal), "Feel Good About Yourself." Is it any wonder the Sinatra Doctrine ("I did it my way") reigns supreme?
2. Be aware Sin is a Cancer its Persistent – this cancer keeps calling me back it will not leave me alone .
• Paul said, “What I want to do, I don’t and what I don’t want to do, I do.”
3. Be aware that Sin is Pervasive (spread all over the place)
• This means that the cancer of sin affects every part of your life.
4. Be aware Sin is Progressive – this cancer keeps growing it never stops wanting more. Sin never stops wanting more.
• I have heard this said, “Sin will carry you farther than you want to go, keep you longer than you want to stay, and make you pay more than you want to pay.” There is no controlling sin, it never stops eating.
5. Finally, Know this there are Treatments or Preventers for sin as a cancer
• Know yourself are you a high risk to get this disease Checkups frequently, check yourself, Jesus says “Let a Man examine himself”
• Build a strong immune system More exercise, More Active, More Good Nutrients, More Jesus
• Lower your high risk factors by improving your immune system if alcohol consumption is a risk quit, smoking is a risk quit, Quit Pride fullness, Quit being Selfish, Quit having that Carnal worldly spirit, Catch the Spirit of Christ likeness, Humility, Discipleship is Servant,