Summary: Since Christians do not where on official unifrom what sets a Christian apart in the eyes of the world?
CHAMPIONS FOR JESUS
Introduction: Olympic overview. We look at these atheletes as champions. What does it take to be a champion for Jesus. Read II Timothy 4:7,8. 1986 Rules for the torch bearers.
I) WEAR THE OFFICAL UNIFORM.
II) CARRY THE TORCH HIGH FOR ALL TO SEE
Matthew 5:14 "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.
A Jew hearing Jesus make this statement would have understood clearly what he was saying. They often referred to Jerusalem as a light to the Gentiles and a particularly famous rabbi as sometimes referred as a lamp of Israel. The Jew would have also understood
1) The light did no get its power from itself.
2) That a light was meant to be seen. A light hidden never did anyone any good.
I have also noted that the higher a light is the better it provides visibility for the room.
3) A light is a guide. Generally speaking lights have a function. They are not usually used as decoration. If a light does not fulfill it purpose, then it is worthless.
4) A light can be used as a warning.
As lights to the world, the Christian gets his power to shine from the Spirit of God within us. We know from this passage as well as others that we are to be seen by the world as being different from the world. We are to be the guides that direct the sinner to God and a warning beacon that announce the danger that lies ahead if we continue without Jesus in our lives.
We must remember that light ALWAYS overcomes darkness.
Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.
Finally Jesus tells us what the purpose of our light is.
1) that the world may see our good works
2) That the may praise God as a result of these good works.
III) REMEMBER THAT THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE RIGHT BESIDE TO HELP IF THE TORCH GETS TOO HEAVY.