Summary: Yes, that's what Jesus did on Easter morn His death defeated death and the Good News is through the grace and mercy of Christ He will bring us up out of that grave>
Death Defeated Death
1. Easter confronts us with the reality of death.
• death isn’t normal —
• Death is not a friend to be embraced
• Death is a destructive, insidious force, not to be reconciled to, but to be reckoned with. Paul says in I Corinthians 15:26, death is not a friend but “the last enemy to be destroyed.”
2. Death is not what we celebrate on Easter, but rather death’s destruction.
• The destruction of Death gives all humanity hope there is Resurrection
• A human dead body was dead but is now alive death is defeated
• Death was reality that could not be over turned, reversed, changed. Remember It was Peter who ran to the empty tomb in response an unbelievable report that Jesus had been seen alive (Luke 24:12). . 12Peter, got up and ran to the tomb. Bending over, he saw the strips of linen lying by themselves, and he went away, wondering to himself what had happened.
3. Peter and the Angels confirms that death defeated death
• The angel said to the women, “Why do you look for the living among the dead? 6 He is not here; he has risen!”
• Then, Peter confirms the report! (Luke 24:34). Says, “It is true! The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon.”
• Peter had seen death up close and personal
• Christ has defeated both sin and death on the cross and in the empty tomb
4. Good News is that Jesus’s Death Defeated Death
• Yes Jesus died he was Put in a tomb because he was dead
• Luke 24 was this the date, death was defeated?24 On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, no we really don’t know when it happened but it did happen
• We know something happened was it death was defeated? 2 They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, 3 but they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.
• Two men stood there and said, Why do you look for the living among the dead? 6 He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was with you in Galilee: 7 ‘The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.’ ”
5. Yes there it is death defeated death He is not here he is risen.
• 8 Then they remembered his words.
• 9 When they came back from the tomb, they told all these things to the Eleven and to all the others.
• 10 It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the others with them who told this to the apostles. 11 But they did not believe the women, because their words seemed to them like nonsense. 12 Peter, however, got up and ran to the tomb. Bending over, he saw the strips of linen lying by themselves, and he went away, wondering to himself what had happened.
• Yes, death still stalks us all, but it doesn’t have the last word. The Last word today Death Defeated Death “He Is Risen”