Summary: If, Men if you want to be the Best Father Be the Best Disciple.
1. Following Jesus is not for the faint of heart, either before or after Pentecost (e.g., Acts 5:41-42). In 9:35–11:1, Jesus instructs his disciples by example and by words what it means to follow him. He tells them why he is sending them out. Out of compassion he sends : “The harvest is plentiful, laborers are few”
• He alerts them to the many threats they will face,
• He says 24"A student is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master If they call me Beelzebub they will call you Beelzebub
• He Alerts them they will face life and death situations 28Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
• He warns them they may encounter sword instead of peace He warns there might be disunity in the household for some will be for Him and some will be against him. Community and family will find struggle because of Christ 34"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35For I have come to turn " `a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law-- 36 a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'E
2. Discipleship is difficult Journey
• Jesus understands that the disciples may face the same fate that he faced
• Jesus knows they will face resistance and ridicule Even though they teach peace, and heal the outcasts of society; They will be harassed and slandered. 28Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.
• Doing the right thing can often produce division, putting you at odds with those who are close to you and do not see things the same way. " `a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law-- 36 a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.'E
• When you live the way Jesus taught, “with radical hospitality to strangers, amazing love shown to enemies or compassion and mercy shown to the sick and the poor, then you are going to offend people who have a vested interest in keeping the oppressed oppressed and the poor poor.” Quote theologian David Merle
3. Jesus is saying Discipleship is not taking up the sword but taking up the Cross
• Jesus does not say “Take up the sword” but rather, “Take up the cross and follow me ”“Discipleship is not found in the sword but in the cross.
• So when Jesus said he came not to bring peace but a sword, He is reminding his followers they must embrace the probability of opposition, and they must accept the possibility of death.
• When you pick up a cross, you are, as Bonheoffer as suggested, picking up the instrument of your own death.
4. Men if you want to be the Best Father Be the Best Disciple
• The Best Disciple teaches his children to be strong the strength to do the right thing
You will face many threats but always do the right thing; the right thing is to do the Godly thing.
• The Best Disciple teaches his children ridicule and resistance will come, but show love, show compassion, show mercy, in this way you are taking up the cross 39Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. This is taking up the cross
• The Bests disciple teaches his children to Give, To Help, to show caring qualities 42And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward."
• The Best Disciple Teaches his children the Importance of what they really should Fear 28Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.