Summary: People look at their past full of sin and tragic mistakes and become overwhelmed with their sad state. Our passage today gives us hope!
Do You Know What You Are Worth?
Text: I Corinthians 6:20
There is a lot of heartache and misery in this little town. As I knock on doors and speak with people face to face, I am amazed how many people are drowning in a pool of misery.
People look at their past full of sin and tragic mistakes and become overwhelmed with their sad state. Some try to turn to religion and the keeping of the law or other rituals in order to salve their guilt-ridden consciences.
Some, in finding no lasting relief from their guilt have considered suicide. Some have just resigned themselves to never attain peace with God.
Psychologists blame the epidemic of chronic depression that is sweeping our land on lack of self-esteem – or not fully understanding their self-worth.
Today, we are going to scripturally examine the subject: "Do you know what you are worth?"
I. We are cursed with a sin debt
1. Romans 3:10,23 - 10 As it is written,There is none righteous, no, not one: 23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
2. Romans 6:23 - For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
3. Revelation 21:8 - But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
B. Enslaved to sin
C. Worthless on our own
Isaiah 64:6 - But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
II. Our debt must be paid
A. Only one price acceptable
Hebrews 9:22 - And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
B. Sin was paid in the Old Testament by symbols of things to come
Leviticus 16:14-15 - 14 And he shall take of the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it with his finger upon the mercy seat eastward; and before the mercy seat shall he sprinkle of the blood with his finger seven times. 15 Then shall he kill the goat of the sin offering, that is for the people, and bring his blood within the vail, and do with that blood as he did with the blood of the bullock, and sprinkle it upon the mercy seat, and before the mercy seat:
1. Sacrifice for the priest
2. Sacrifice for the people
3. The blood taken behind the veil
4. The blood applied to the mercy seat
C. Jesus paid your debt once and for all
Hebrews 9:12,24 - 12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. 24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
1. Jesus took His own blood
2. Jesus went behind the veil into the presence of God
3. The blood was applied to the true Mercy Seat in Heaven
4. No more sacrifice is ever needed – no need for mass!
D. We have redemption through Christ’s blood
1. Redemption = payment
2. Not by corruptible things
1 Peter 1:18 - Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
b. Religious rites
3. Christ’s blood
Ephesians 1:7 - In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
Colossians 1:14 - In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
III. The price that has been paid for you demands a response!
A. Believe it
1. Turn from your own religion to Christ alone
2. Don’t you dare doubt God’s saving ability – if the Creator of the Universe shed His blood and applied it to the Mercy Seat in Heaven, can your puny actions un-do it?
B. Praise God for it
1. Get out of self-pity
2. Shout a while!
C. Live it
1 Corinthians 6:20 - For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
1. In your body
2. In your spirit
D. Proclaim it!
The evidence presented today demands that you make a decision. Jesus shed His blood for you. Will you believe it? Will you praise God for it? Will you live it? Will you proclaim it?
Sing: What can wash away my sin? What can make me whole again?