Summary: Paul tells Timothy you need to do your best at proclaiming the Gospel, practicing endurance, avoiding arguments, rightly dividing the Word, and pursuing purity I order to win souls.
Do your Best
1. First Paul tells Timothy that you have to do your best
A. Do your best at presenting yourself as one approved by God
2 Timothy 2:15. Do not be ashamed, but rightly explain the word of truth.
B. Paul tells Timothy to do your best at being an effective Christian
2. To be the effective Christian Paul tells Timothy to do your best at Proclaiming the Gospel vs 8
A. We proclaim by remembering Jesus raised from the dead
B. the early Christians GOODNEWS. Was centered on the resurrection
C. The early Christians proclaimed the Gospel of Christ's authority
He was a descendant of David
Paul was thrown into prison beaten repeatedly not because of
Doing a little good gospel
Or a get ready for heaven gospel
But because he proclaimed christs authority as the Gospel
Jesus has power over sickness, power over disease, power over death, none of these a problem but he has power overs sin. That is a problem.
3. Paul tells Timothy to be an effective Christian you need to Do your best Timothy at practicing endurance vs 10-13
A. Proclaiming the Gospel takes a great deal of endurance because the world desires to go in a different direction
B. vs 10 Paul endured hardships because he was focused on bring people to God.
C. Vs 11-13 we sometimes have failures and faithlessness but God is faithful
4. Paul tells Timothy to be an effective Christian You need to do your best at avoiding silly arguments 14, 16
A. Paul tells Timothy do not argue over unessasary Words
B. don't fret over doctrine , polity, modes of baptism, or way to perform the sacraments
5. Paul tells Timothy to be an effective Christian you need to do your best at rightly explaining the word of truth
A. Vs 15 the approved worker refers to tried and tested in the Greek
B the qualified worker is constantly trying and testing, and wrestling with the gospel as they study the word.
C. The word explain in this text referring to Gods word comes from a word called orthos which means to make straight it is the word we use for orthodontist or one who makes teeth straight. Timothy explain make straight Gods word
6. In conclusion Paul tells Timothy to be an effective Christian you need to do your best at pursing purity vs 20-22
A. Do your best at proclaiming the Gospel people need The Lord
B. Do your best at practicing endurance people are out there we have to find them the lost
C. Do your best at avoiding silly arguments people do not need to see the church messed up on what they believe for they do not what to believe
D. Do your best at rightly dividing the word of truth people want to be made straight so we must be straight
E. Do your best at pursuing purity people want to see the purity that will make them pure do your best church.