Summary: When you neglect your spiritual walk for even a short time you begin to drift away from God.
Intro.: Dobie Gray wrote a song called “Drift Away” in 1973 – verse 1:
Day after day I’m more confused
So I look for the light in the pouring rain
You know that’s a game that I hate to lose
I’m feelin’ the strain, ain’t it a shame
READ: Hebrews 2:1, “For this reason we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away from it.” This is a specific warning to us. Have any of you drifted back toward a lost state? Are some of us not where we once were w/God? Have you ever been more surrendered than you are right now? If you answered yes to any of these, you’re in the process of drifting. Why is it so easy to drift?
I. Reasons that people drift
A. A Lack of Spiritual Depth - Matthew 13:5-7, 20-21
1. If we settle for a shallow relationship, we won’t make it thru the rough spots
2. Some Churches today have the spiritual depth of a mud puddle, small &shallow
3. Many Christians think God is OK w/this kind of spiritual life
4. A lack of spiritual depth will lead to an apathetic, dead spiritual life
B. Denying Christ w/o Realizing it - Mark 14:10-11
1. There will be times in our lives when we deny Jesus, we’ve all done it…
a. We deny Him every time we CHOOSE to sin
b. Saving ourselves a brief difficulty: Not speaking when we should, etc.
c. There have been times when we have chosen the easy path & sold out
C. Hard Times Come - Galatians 4:8-11
1. When life gets tough we find out what we’re made of
a. We find out if our Christianity is fact or fiction
b. We find out who we really turn to: the bank, the government or to God
D. We Get Deceived - Galatians 1:6-9
1. Sometimes people are swayed to follow a doctrine that is false or unscriptural
2. Sometimes people drift because others have deceived them
3. We must continually measure our opinions about God with scripture
a. If our beliefs do not match the bible, we are wrong
E. We Get Divided - Galatians 2:11-12
1. There will always be people who will seek to divide those around them
2. We have to make the choice to stand up when and where God calls us to
3. Standing for God is not always popular but it is always the right thing to do.
READ: Revelation 2:2-5
II. The Essential Problem with Drifting
A. We Don’t Fear Sin - Even good churches go bad when they don’t see sin as sin
a. Rebellion against God and Rejection of His Grace
NOTE: We live in an age where there is no fear over the consequences of sin. Society wants us to believe that God is love & He wouldn’t hold us accountable for our actions. We no longer examine our lifestyle by the principles of scripture. We fool ourselves into believing that we live under grace so we can live how we please. God is clear on this issue, He loves sinners but hates sin. If God hates sin how can we think that it’s ok?
B. Lack of a repentance over sin
1. To repent means to turn away from
NOTE: The biggest problem w/many Christians is that they have given their heart to Jesus but never repented of their sins. Sin doesn’t bother us enough for us to change.