Summary: This is a sermon about driving out the enemy or evicting the devil from the territory that God has given unto the church. Jericho was the first city Joshua and the Israelites encountered once they crossed the Jordon River.
“Driving Enemy Out”
TEXT: Joshua 6:1-5 (KJV)
1 Now Jericho was straitly shut up because of the children of Israel: none went out, and none came in.
2 And the LORD said unto Joshua, See, I have given into thine hand Jericho, and the king thereof, and the mighty men of valour.
3 And ye shall compass the city, all ye men of war, and go round about the city once. Thus shalt thou do six days.
4 And seven priests shall bear before the ark seven trumpets of rams' horns: and the seventh day ye shall compass the city seven times, and the priests shall blow with the trumpets.
5 And it shall come to pass, that when they make a long blast with the ram's horn, and when ye hear the sound of the trumpet, all the people shall shout with a great shout; and the wall of the city shall fall down flat, and the people shall ascend up every man straight before him.
A. History of Jericho –
1) The Name Jericho was a Arabic baby name.
2) In Arabic --- The Name Jericho means, “City of the Moon.”
3) Jericho was a city in Canaan --- a city that had great walls and Pagan Practices within.
B. God had given Israel the Land of Canaan ---- but Israel would have to drive their enemies out of Canaan before they could enjoy a time of peace.
C. What Canaan Represents ----
1) Canaan doesn’t represent Heaven ---- there are no enemies in Heaven.
2) Canaan represents a New Life ---- A New Covenant, A RIGHT RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD.
D. The Walls of Jericho ---- This city was well fortified.
1) It was thought to be impregnable.
2) The Walls was massive ----
a. The Walls may have ranged from 13 feet high up to 28 feet high in places.
b. The Walls were thick enough that you could race two chariots side by side upon the top.
c. So the walls of Jericho could have easily been around 12 to 15 feet thick.
d. Watch Towers would have been built in along with dwellings and businesses.
E. I believe there’s a strong Contemporary Message here.
1) I believe the Story of Jericho ties in with the N.T. Story of Pentecost.
I. Jericho Blocked The Entrance Into Canaan.
A. The Israelites had to defeat this enemy that was living in their Canaan.
1) If you are ever going to enjoy your Canaan, Your Land of Promise, Your New Life in Christ, You WILL HAVE TO EVICT THE DEVIL!!!
B. Jericho was straightly SHUT UP because of the Children of Israel, Non Went Out and None Came In.
1) So many times we find ourselves fearing the devil and his minions.
2) Satan and his imps GREATLY FEAR the CHILDREN OF GOD.
a. Satan tries to turn the tables on us.
3) There is nothing that Satan and his crowd fear any more than a BLOOD BOUGHT, HOLY GHOST FILLED PRAYER WARRIOR.
a. All the World Starts Changing when the Church Starts Praying.
b. Prison Bars start shacking when the Church Starts Praising.
c. The Weapon of Satan melt away when the Church Starts Rebuking.
C. Satan knew the Covenant that God had established with Abraham ---- many years before.
1) The Location of Jericho was no accident.
2) Before we can you can enter YOUR CANAAN ---- Your NEW LIFE, Your New CALLING, Your NEW PURPOSE --- you will have to move satan out of the way!!