Summary: At Easter, we celebrate the life, death and especially the Resurrection of Jesus. This is a series leading up to Easter, through the Triumphal Entry & Passion. *HANDOUT INCLUDED*
Easter Gives Us Access to God
“And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit. Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split...” (Matthew 27:50-51)
And Jesus cried out with a loud voice, and breathed His last. Then the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. So when the centurion, who stood opposite Him, saw that He cried out like this and breathed His last, he said, "Truly this Man was the Son of God!" (Mark 15:37-38)
Now, at home I have some curtains that you could rip pretty easily. But this was no ordinary curtain!
What was this veil? Let me give you a short explanation:
- The veil was placed at the entrance to the “Most Holy Place” – the place where God’s presence was in the ancient temple.
- Only one man, the high priest, could enter there, and then only once a year, only for a few moments. He would take the blood from a lamb, and sprinkle it out in the presence of God, symbolizing the forgiveness of people’s sin.
- If anyone else tried to walk through that veil, they were immediately struck dead by God.
- For almost 1,500 years, this veil in the temple had stood for the separation of man and God – it was a big sign saying “no access.”
Now, imagine that you were in the temple in that Friday as Jesus died. . . and you knew the rules. If I go through that curtain – that veil – I’m a dead man! Suddenly, that curtain that had stood for 1,500 years ripped right down the middle from the top to the bottom! No one was near it, you didn’t see anyone, but it just ripped right in two!
You would know – something POWERFUL just happened!!!!
What was happening? God was giving us a powerful picture that shows us this:
Jesus death and resurrection gives us access to God.
Imagine that you had a ticket to a concert of your FAVORITE artist. You decided that, since you’re here, you’d like to go talk to him or her. So you headed toward the backstage area. Guess what would happen? Two big guys in sunglasses would step up in your way about the time you got to the entrance. They would ask to see your backstage pass – and if you don’t have one, you might as well forget going backstage, because YOU don’t have ACCESS!!
1. Through Jesus, we have access into God’s presence.
Heb. 10:22. let us go right into the presence of God, with true hearts fully trusting him. For our evil consciences have been sprinkled with Christ’s blood to make us clean, and our bodies have been washed with pure water.
It’s not about income level. . .
It’s not about race. . .