Summary: There have been many fads in our history but one thing for sure accoring to the text "The Word shall be forever".
“Everything comes and goes” Mark 13:24-37
1. Everything will come and go we call them fads and crazes So what is a fad?
• Dictionary definitions include: "An intense but short-lived fashion; craze; a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, especially one followed enthusiastically by a group."
2. Some fads we have had Bell bottom pants, Mullets ,Fidget spinners.
• You've heard of them, haven't you? They are one of the hottest toys of 2017. A fidget spinner Because they are colorful and inexpensive, just a few dollars apiece, many children have a bunch of them. These toys have generated controversy -- some schools ban them as a distraction. But over time, the fad will fade and fidget spinners will gather dust along with hula hoops, troll dolls, Beanie Babies and jelly bracelets. Fads " they come and go"
3. Are there fads connected to the Bible yes, especially of the return of Christ?
• Jesus says that "the stars will be falling from heaven, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see 'the Son of Man coming in clouds' with great power and glory" (vv. 25-26).
• Keep your eyes open, says the Bible. "When you see these things taking place, you know that he is near" (v. 29).
• 1530 Anabaptist in Munster Germany took over Munster and claims it to be new Jerusalem the situation in Munster was far from the ideal Christian commonwealth. Jan Bockelson, a tailor declared himself the "Messiah of the last days," took multiple wives, issued coins that prophesied the coming apocalypse and in general made life hell for everyone in the city (except for a few fellow proselytizers who lived lavishly — and, according to some accounts, in a great state of debauchery )
• The Millerites of the early 1840s who took to the mountains by the thousands to await the return of Christ. The Left Behind books and movies. Y2K. Recall when 2000 rolls those computers will crash and the world will witness the return of Christ.
• Harold Camping studied the Bible and came to the conclusion that the world would end May 21, 2011. After sharing this prediction with his listeners, he used millions of dollars of their donations to put his message on 5,000 billboards. Camping estimated that 7 billion people would die.
• May 21 came and went with no return of Christ. Camping's followers expressed astonishment and disappointment. Some denounced him as a false prophet. He amended the date to October 21, and the world still didn't end.
• Camping should have read verse 32: "But about that day or hour no one knows, neither the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."
4. Everything comes and goes nothing really endures.
• Jesus himself said that absolutely everything will pass away, including "heaven and earth" (v. 31).
• What, then, will not fade and disappear? Everything will come and go. Except -- wait for it -- the word of God. Jesus says, "My words will not pass away" (v. 31).
• Jesus tells us that the only thing that will not fade away is my Word ,
• This Advent let us build our lives on the word it is one thing we know is faithful
• Millerites didn’t know, The Annabaptist of Munster Germany didn’t know, Herold Camping didn’t know, but the Word says He is coming so we need to do like Saint Fransis who was asked if Christ was to return what would you do? “Keep Hoeing “
• Jesus says No one knows, Be on guard, be alert, be watchful, keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back--whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. 36If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. 37What I say to you, I say to everyone: `Everything comes and goes so Watch!'