Summary: You will find that doing God's work, in God's way, will bring God's provision.
Text: Acts 5:17-42
1. In episode 5 of the A.D. series, we see how even in the midst of persecution, the apostles of the early church continued to be obedient in declaring the Gospel. They faced opposition from the religious and political leaders of the time, many were thrown in jail on multiple occasions, and some were martyred for their faith.
A. Yet, through the power of the Holy Spirit, Christians experienced boldness, declared truth, and received empowerment through God's grace. They weren't focusing on the present circumstances full of discouragement, questions, and impossibility.
B. Their focus was on God. As a result, men and women were saved, healed, and witnessed many miracles.
C. The mission of spreading the Gospel to all the earth was unstoppable because it was part of God's salvation story that has been written and continues to be written.
2. Corrie Ten Boom in The Hiding Place relates an incident which taught her this principle. She and her sister, Betsy, had just been transferred to the worst German prison camp they had seen yet, Ravensbruck.
A. Upon entering the barracks, they found them extremely overcrowded and flea-infested. Their Scripture reading that morning in 1 Thessalonians had reminded them to rejoice always, pray constantly, and give thanks in all circumstances.
B. Betsy told Corrie to stop and thank the Lord for every detail of their new living quarters. Corrie at first flatly refused to give thanks for the fleas, but Betsy persisted.
C. She finally succumbed. During the months spent at that camp, they were surprised to find how openly they could hold Bible study and prayer meetings without guard interference.
D. It was several months later when they learned that the guards would not enter the barracks because of the fleas.
3. When facing opposition you will find that...
A. God Will Come To Help You
B. God Will Open Up New Doors
C. God Will Do The Unexpected
D. God Will Give You Reason To Rejoice
4. Let's stand together as we read Acts 5:17-42
Proposition: You will find that doing God's work, in God's way, will bring God's provision.
Transition: When faced with opposition you will find that...
I. God Will Come To Help You (17-25).
A. But An Angel Of The Lord
1. The scene is this, the Apostles had been in the Temple at a place called Solomon's Colonnade, where they had preached the word. As a result, people were saved, healed, and delivered from evil spirits. How dare they, right?
2. Well believe it or not, this did not set well with everyone. Luke tells us, "The high priest and his officials, who were Sadducees, were filled with jealousy. 18 They arrested the apostles and put them in the public jail."
A. Once again the Sadducees, including the high priest and his close friends, were upset.
B. This time they were "filled with jealousy" ("indignation," KJV). The Greek word (zēloō) can mean zeal or enthusiasm in a good sense, or it can mean the worst kind of jealousy.
C. It is not hard to see how the word is used here. It also implies a divisive spirit and a zeal for their teachings against the resurrection of the dead.