Summary: Five Solas of the Reformation: 1. Scripture alone is our highest authority. 2. Saved by the Grace of God alone. 3. Saved through Faith alone in Christ. 4. Christ alone is our Lord, Savior and King. 5. We live for the Glory of God alone.
Galatians 2:15-21 We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; 16 yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.
17 But if, in our endeavor to be justified in Christ, we too were found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not! 18 For if I rebuild what I tore down, I prove myself to be a transgressor. 19 For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.
Faith – It is the complete surrender to Jesus as Lord and Savior and the only way to escape the punishment we deserve for our sin.
The Five Solas of the Reformation:
1. Scripture alone is our highest authority.
2. Saved by the Grace of God alone.
3. Saved through Faith Alone in Christ
4. Christ alone is our Lord, Savior and King.
5. We live for the Glory of God alone.
I. We are NOT justified (saved) by….
A. Our Birth vs 15-16
1. Jews were not saved by their birth
Roms 10:9-13 If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses & is saved.11 The Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in Him will not be put to shame.”12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
2. Our parents do not save us
B. Our works
1. “a person is not justified by works of the law” vs 16
2. “not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.” vs 16
C. By the law (Old Testament)
1. Shows us our guilt is complete James 2:10 Whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it.
2. Shows us our need for repentance
Rom. 3:19-20 Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. 20 For by works of the law no one will be justified in His sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.
II. We are justified (saved) by
A. Faith in Jesus
1. “not justified by works… but through faith in Jesus Christ” vs 16
2. “I live by faith in the Son of God” vs 20
3. Your faith must be in Jesus
a. Who He is 100% God and 100% man
b. He lived a perfect sinless life
c. He died, was buried and rose again
B. How do we get faith?
1. It is a gift of God
Eph 2:8-10 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.