Summary: Objective: Our fame is found in Jesus who lifts us up with him; restoring us and the world to the Father.
Subject: Our Life in Jesus
Text: John 17:1-5
Time: Sunday night June 18, 2000
Question: Where do we find our fame?
Where do you go to get fame?
- Hollywood California / New York City
- ride a barrel over the Falls
- “everyone will have their 15 minutes of fame” - Andy Warhol
- in the early 1980’s the TV drama “fame”
Objective: Our fame is found in Jesus who lifts us up with Him: restoring us and the world to the Father.
Transition: As we listen to Jesus’ prayer, we get a clear sense of:
1. A PRIOR AGREEMENT
a. “It is time”
- a keen sense of timing on Jesus’ part - a knowledge of something important - a destiny to fulfill that has cosmic importance
- Larry Crabb - in book Connecting describes a possible conversation between the persons of the Trinity before history began -
b. “I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do”
- again - Jesus mentioning a point of completion
- the importance of His life as well as His death
- increase the fame of God - His kingdom in the world
Illustration: when a company finds a good spokesman for their product.
- i.e., Tiger Woods for Nike
- In an infinitely greater way - Jesus is God’s ultimate spokesman.
Jesus’ role in our world was to come and increaase the fame of God - and therefore of Himself as well so that the world might know the way Home.
Transition: As we listen in on Jesus’ prayer we understand that:
2. HE LEADS THE WAY
a. All authority has been given to Him.
- He is the leader - and the head - everything is re-ordered through Him.
b. Col. 1:15ff
“He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. For god was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.”
- we see here a total re-ordering of life.
Illustration: Reverse of a Captain going down with his ship - rather he is leader who takes ship out of the wreckage
Jn. 5 “Whoever hears my word, and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned. He has crossed over from death to life.”
It’s through Jesus that we see life in a totally different way.
- work - not boss but Jesus is in charge
- nation - not Prime Minister by Jesus is in charge
- family - not any individual - but Jesus
- church - not the pastors or any other - but Jesus
Transition: in the prayer there is a distinct declaration of eternal life:
3. TO KNOW JESUS IS TO KNOW GOD
- the only way to know God is to Abide in Jesus - promise of the Father and the Son making their home in us!
Illustration: Baxter Kruger - son and his friend
- the point of our being famous is in the eyes of the Father made possible because we are in Jesus.
“I am in the Father, You are in me, and I am in you!” Jn. 14:20
b. Jesus’ acceptance by the Father insures our acceptance by the Father as well.
- we may not be famous in the world’s eyes or the crowds eyes. Maybe we haven’t made MVP for the season, MVP for the league, MVP for the Playoffs (Shaqeal O’Neil) but we are famous in the Father’s eyes.
Eternal life is “knowing Jesus and Knowing God” - have you ever wanted to be somewhere where someone understood who you are - what your going through - a secure place where you feel at home - a place where there is help for life - “Our Home is with the Father - “in Jesus” - “in Christ”
Conclusion: Our Fame is found In Jesus!
Paul - Romans 8 - the world anticipates our adoption as Sons and Daughters of God - like in the Narnia Chronicles and the prophecy of “two sons of Adam and two Daughters of Eve”
Our presence in the world right now speaks of a coming glory (fame) when all evil will be gone all that is wrong will be made right - and we will know Him.
Jesus has restored God’s fame in the world and will restore God’s fame in us - now and in the future -