Summary: The sermon shares why the son left and why the son returned.
1. The Fathers House didn’t allow him to do it his way The prodigal wanted to do it His way: His way is the right way, the best way, the only way. Doing it my way means I am Fed Up with the way things are right now!
• 12The younger one said to his father, `Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.
• the young man is hothead, arrogant and self-centered.
2. The young man believed The Fathers House chained him to rules and regulations his way was the way that set him free 13"Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant
• Set Free from dependence on anyone, no more church church No more Sunday worship, no more family devotions, no more “home by midnight,” no more Dad watching over my shoulder, no more boredom. I’m free to choose my friends, free to choose my own girlfriends, free to try whatever I want, free to be me, free to be whoever I want to be.
3. Getting away from the Fathers House can bring disaster. Note The Young man’s leaving brought his life disaster In that distant country there squandered his wealth in wild living. he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need.
• When we get away from the Fathers House disaster seems to strike
4.Waywardness from the Fathers House brought this man messiness, dirtiness, and filthiness (vv. 15–16) 15So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.
•When we get away from the Fathers house our life’s make us sick I don’t like who and what I have become I must grasp I am better than this.
5.The man learned while distant from the Fathers House how ignorant or foolish he had been (v. 17) 17"When he came to his senses, he said, `How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death!
•Coming to his senses meant he looked at his life since he left the fathers house
•When I was in the Fathers House I had it all
•I went out and wasted everything with riots living what do I have to show for it nothing?
•Come on, think, man. Even Dad’s servants have a better life than this.
6.After leaving the Fathers House he feels “I am finished “vs 18 18I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you.
I am Finished with my ignorance’s, my waywardness,
•I have no idea what lies ahead, but I’m finished with this so-called “life.” Whatever the future holds back home, it’s got to be better than this, even if I could be a servant. Perhaps Dad will give me a place with the hired help.
7.After Leaving The Father House the Prodigal learns He is welcomed back (vv. 20–24)
•He knows he welcomed back because The Father has compassion which results in him running towards the lost son
•He is welcomed with hugs with intention the father throws himself towards the son and kisses him remember the text “greet the brethren with a holy kiss”