Summary: We are called to be fishers of men.
1. Ice fishing story. I like to fish,relaxing. Better to catch, though.
2. Story about group of disappointed fishermen. Of Peter, John, &
James, 3 of Jesus’ closest disciples.
3. Expected to catch something. Not for fun, livelihood. What they
did for a living, how they fed their families. Seasoned fisherman.
Right equipment, knew what time was best to fish.
4. Vs. 5 fishing all night long, dropping nets, lifting them out,
empty. very disappointing.
5. Type of fishing-thousands of years, series of nets called
trammel nets, one boat lay out wall of nets not far from shore in
the shape of semi-circle, other boat near shore would scare
schools of fish into net. 3 layers of netting. Only worked at nite,
fish could see netting in daytime & avoid nets.
6. Now can see why Peter was reluctant. Fished all nite, no fish.
Little chance in daylight. Nets were all cleaned.
7. Tiger Woods. 4 of 15 tournaments. Change swing. While doing
won 1 tournament in 19 mos. Won 10 of next 14, 6 in a row, 3 of
4 majors. Few knew completely revamped swing after 1st yr.
Why change good thing? Wanted to be better, knew he could.
8. Jesus not afraid of changing things, even good things, because
of something He wants to accomplish.
9. Stopped preaching, went over to the boats, asked one of the
fishermen to take him out. Different location, more effective,
people still see, voice project more because shore functioned like
an amphitheater. Another reason Jesus wanted to talk from boat.
Later He wanted to talk with owner of boat, Peter. Not only
interested in crowds, He is also interested in you individually.
10. Jesus meets us where we are. Reason: to take us from
shallow faith to a deeper faith. Happened to Peter. Casually
listening while tending to duties & responsibilities. Had to make
living. Couldn’t give up what he was doing & spend whole day
11. When Jesus finished speaking to people, told Peter to put out
into deep water to catch fish. Analogy: Shallow water to deep =
shallow faith to deeper faith.
12. How does Jesus take us from where we are to where He
wants us to be? Gently pushing-with words, actions- away from 1
level of stability(symbolized by shallow water) to place where
we’re more dependent on God (Deeper water).
13. Jesus takes our health/turns it a bit, so we realize must look
at life not just materially, but spiritually. Takes our stable jobs/
turns it a bit, so we redefine what we mean by success. Takes our
stable marriages & relationships/turns it a bit, so we realize they
take work & communication & spiritual connection.
14. What happens in deeper water? More scary, more unstable
more unfamiliar. Out of our comfort zone. But also where there
are more fish. Never catch as many fish on shore. Go out into
deep water to catch more fish.
15. We need to get out there where the fish are! Can’t sit on
shore & wait for them to come to us. “they know where we are,
they ought to be in church.” NO! NO! We have to launch out into
the deep. To catch fish, you have to go where they are.
16. 3 necessities: