Summary: Message 15 from John's gospel exploring Jesus' claim to be the fountain of life.
Pastor David Welch
“Fountain of Life”
John is the Gospel of belief. John writes that we may come to see that Jesus is the Christ and come to believe in him and His teaching.
So far we have learned much about His person from this Gospel.
• He has eternal existed in perfect fellowship with God.
• He Himself is full deity.
• He is Lord of all creation, maker of the heavens and the earth.
• He is the light and life of men.
• He is Lord over all nature and victor over sickness and disease.
• He is the Lord of the temple.
• He is the Savior of the world.
• He is the water of life.
• He is the absolute and final authoritative spokesman for God.
• He is Lord of the human heart, as he knows what is in the heart of man.
• He is Messiah
• He is the promised Prophet.
• He is the Christ.
• He is the Son of God.
• He is the assigned judge of all men.
• He is the bread out of heaven that gives life to all men.
• He is Lord of the Sabbath.
• He is compassionate.
• He is courageous and authoritative.
• He is wisdom
• He is confident in the face of opposition.
• He is a master teacher.
• He is passionate about the purposes of God.
• He is committed to do the Father’s will no matter what.
We have been exposed to some of his vital teaching as well.
• Everyone must be born again of the Spirit to see or enter the kingdom of God.
• As Moses lifted the serpent on the pole in the wilderness so Jesus will be lifted up.
• Those who look to Jesus will have eternal life and not perish.
• There will be no judgment on those who believe.
• Jesus is the thirst quenching water for the thirsty soul.
• Jesus is the means to eternal life.
• Worship of God must be done in spirit and in truth.
• God seeks that kind of worshipper.
• Jesus is coequal with the Father.
• Jesus does whatever the Father wishes.
• Jesus gives life to whomever He wishes.
• Those who believe pass from death to life.
• All the Scriptures bear witness of Jesus.
• Those who refuse the Scriptures won’t believe the Savior.
• Jesus comes in the Father’s name.
• Jesus is the bread out of heaven.
• Those who come and believer will not hunger or thirst.
• Those who come will not be cast out but welcomed.
• Those who come will not be lost but raised up and completed on the last day.
• No one comes to the Father unless He draws and teaches him or her.
• Life can only be found in Christ.
• No life generates out of us.
• We experience the same life as the trinity.
• The Spirit gives life.
• The flesh gives NOTHING.
So far John has organized this truth in a section I am call the public ministry and teaching of Jesus. 2-12
I. Jesus teaches at the feast of booths in spite of personal risk 7:1-53
1. Desire for a low profile 7:1-9
And after these things Jesus was walking in Galilee; for He was unwilling to walk in Judea, because the Jews were seeking to kill Him.
This gives us a reason why Jesus was not yet ready to go up and enter into a public ministry in Jerusalem at this time.
His brothers therefore said to Him, "Depart from here, and go into Judea, that Your disciples also may behold Your works which You are doing.
Everyone by this time was anxious for Jesus to declare Himself King of kings and Lord of lords. They felt convinced that Jesus was the Christ to save them from the tyranny of Rome. They didn’t understand that they must first be saved from the tyranny of sin and death. They presented him with great logic.
"For no one does anything in secret, when he himself seeks to be known publicly. If You do these things, show Yourself to the world."
Yet even His half-brothers were not yet convinced that Jesus was the real deal.
For not even His brothers were believing in Him.
Jesus however did not operate on their time schedule but the Father’s purpose and time.
Jesus therefore said to them, "My time is not yet at hand, but your time is always opportune. "The world cannot hate you; but it hates Me because I testify of it, that its deeds are evil. "Go up to the feast yourselves; I do not go up to this feast because My time has not yet fully come." And having said these things to them, He stayed in Galilee.