Summary: Daily from the media we hear about America driving off the Fiscal Cliff. Trillion Dollar Deficits spiraling out of control * More taxes just approved for tax burdened Californians * More layoffs looming on the horizon * More Murders * More States
Cornerstone Church November 18, 2012
“Giving Thanks Is Normal!”
We live in interesting and difficult days!
Daily from the media we hear about America driving off the Fiscal Cliff.
Trillion Dollar Deficits spiraling out of control
* More taxes just approved for tax burdened Californians
* More layoffs looming on the horizon
* More Murders
* More States approving same sex marriage
* More babies doomed to be aborted
Today some of the smartest people in our society are the dumbest!
“CBS New York reported that Michael Bloomberg, New York City's mayor, has outlawed food donations to homeless shelters in the city because authorities can’t assess their fat, salt and fiber content.”
Really? A hungry person is counting carbs?
Forest Gump is a Genius compared to these individuals!
"Stupid is as stupid? does"
If all of this wasn’t bad enough, Hostess is closing!
Where are we going to get our Twinkies?
No wonder we find it is hard to be thankful!
Is this the “New Normal?”
What happened to Normal?
Just a decade ago all seemed to be humming along!
What happened to the good old days?
When I was little I remember waking up on Thanksgiving morning and watching all of the parades. Then we would load up in the car and drive to my grandparent’s home.
Soon the whole family was gathered together.
It was a place with:
* Lots of Joy!
* Lots of Love!
* Lots of Food!
It seemed (at least in my memories) that neither of my grandparents or parents had a care in the word or any problems. Life was good!
But that wasn’t true….
* My great-grandmother came to the US just before Hitler closed the borders in Poland.
* My grandmother lost her father when she was young
* My grandparents lived through the great depression
* My grandmother battled cancer for many years
* My grandfather worked 10 -12 hours days for .25 cents per hour for what became TRW but feared going to the bathroom thinking he might be one of the people fired that day.
But they were thankful people!
Maybe the “New Normal” is really “normal life!”
Generations come and generations go, but the earth remains forever.
The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises.
The wind blows to the south and turns to the north; round and round it goes, ever returning on its course.
All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full. To the place the streams come from, there they return again.
All things are wearisome, more than one can say. The eye never has enough of seeing, nor the ear its fill of hearing.
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
Eccl. 1:4-9 NIV
Life is routine and boring!
Most of the New Testament books and epistles are written to saints going through incredible times of great hardship or struggles:
* Persecution from the culture
* Lived under rulers like: Caligula, Claudius and Nero
In those books, however, they were never encouraged to sit around and:
* Give up