God Will Do What He Promises
Contributed by Greg Van Heukelom on Jun 30, 2020 (message contributor)
Summary: Peter quotes Joel on the promises of God
God's Promises fullfilled
Hello, I'm Pastor Greg of Calvary
Reformed Church and today for Father's Day.
We are going to be looking at Acts chapter two. We have been having a series on teachings about Pentecost and this is the fourth week next week. We are going to be looking at Acts chapter two also. Today is the fourth week of looking at Pentecost,
but today's Father's Day a day in which we celebrate dads. Some of us we had amazing dads, others of you may be struggled with your dad. I think one of
the most wonderful aspects about being a person of faith--- is to realize that Jesus Christ says to us that we can call Yahweh God, the creator of the universe, ABBA---the Greek word abba which means daddy----daddy that closeness that we're going to have. So whether you had an amazing wonderful earthly father whether you struggled ---know that we all ---when we become a child of God--when we give our life over to God--- we have the greatest DAD in the universe--- daddy.
Acts chapter two ---the Holy Spirit had just come down on 120 disciples, the eleven disciples plus the other people that were with them and I believe in the temple 50 days after the Passover. The Holy Spirit came down on them and then in Acts chapter 2 we –we read that Peter stood up with the eleven he raised his voice and he addressed the
Crowd--- fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem----- you got to remember this is Peter who just fifty days before this denied Jesus Christ… three times--- friends the Holy Spirit can change you. The Holy Spirit desires to change us.
The Holy Spirit changed Peter and Peter stood up with the rest and raised his voice and addressed the crowd fellow. Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem let me explain this to you-- listen carefully to what I say for these men are not drunk as you know it's only 9:00 in the morning no this is what was spoken by the Prophet Joel. We are not quite
exactly for sure when the Old Testament minor prophet of Joel was written, some say different time frames, but I think probably in the ninth century BC and Joel wrote,
- in the last days God says I will pour out my spirit on all people
- your sons and your daughters will prophesy
- your young men will see visions
- your old men will dream dreams
- even on my servants both men and women I will pour out my spirit
- in those days and they will prophesy I will show great signs and wonders in the heaven above and signs and the earth below the blood and the flyer fire and billows of smoke the Sun will be turned to darkness in the moon to blood before the great before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord and everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
I love that last part of that verse, and everyone
who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
Joel says-- that probably about 850 years or so before the Messiah comes ---that Jesus Christ the Messiah Peter quotes Joel by saying everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved
We're going to look at that next week, that's going to be June 28th teaching but today we're going to look at simply verse 17 where Yahweh God says and then Peter quotes Joel by saying I will pour out my spirit ---I will pour out my spirit ----friends we're just going to just take 10 minutes to dissect those short words God says.
I will do it. I the creator of the heaven and the earth I. I am the one who met Moses on Mount Sinai and said Who am I. I ---the one who Jesus uses the seven statements the seven I am statements of
- I am the bread of life---I am the one says
who sustains you.
- I am the light of the world --I am the one that gives you light in your darkness
- I am the door of the Sheep--- I'm the one that protects the sheep from predators
- I am the resurrection and the life
- I'm the resurrection and the life
- I am The Good Shepherd I am the one that that that protects you that will lead you through Psalm 23 says our valleys to the cool waters
- I am the way the truth and the life--- Jesus is the knowledge of truth, he is the way he says I am the only way--- not multiple ways of what we hear today within society scripture says the one way and Christ says