Summary: The presence and glory of God make us distinct!
1. We have a common need -- Ecclesiastes 3.11
2. We try to fill the God-shaped hole in our hears as seen in our pursuits:
a. High Risk Adventure -- "BASE Jumping" = Buildings, Antennas, Spans, Earth -- Fall and pull parachute at last possible minute to escape death -- Google lists nearly 300 BASE fatalities since 1981; "At least they were doing what they loved." No, they died looking for the thing they were made to love.
b. Wealth -- Jack Whitaker won $314.9 Million in a lottery -- lost it all and his life; "I wish I had torn that ticket up."
c. Personal Accomplishment -- Tom Brady -- Great QB; in a 2005 60 Minute Interview -- "Why do I have 3 Super Bowl rings and still feel like there is something greater for me out there?"
d. Safety and Security -- Charlie Sheen -- "I had a hole in my me that only got bigger and bigger as I tried to fill it with people, experience, things, and drugs. It was all stripped away and I learned you cannot fill the hole inside you that way."
e. It seems that God has created us to be miserable until we are fulfilled in him.
"Our hearts are restless until we rest in Him." Augustine
3. Exodus 33.12-23
a. Moses knew God gave him a job he could not handle on his own (me, too, btw)
b. His response -- "Give us your presence"
4. Our longing for the transcendence of God comes only with his presence and glory
a. We can't see God, only the results of God, his glory
b. The evidence of his presence -- Sunset and beauty; ocean; mountain; newborn baby; worship service
c. "As heat is to fire; wet is to water; and light to a lightbulb glory is to God -- shouts his presence"
5. Glory Is God's Alone
I. The Illusion of Our Glory
A. We Seek Glory/Acclaim in Many Arenas
1. Summer Olympics -- all about glorying in medals -- Michael Phelps -- 20th Gold Medal
2. Our pursuit of glory is for our sense of self-importance; ego
3. [Frog and Ducks -- The story is told of two ducks and a frog who lived happily together in a farm pond. The best of friends, the three would amuse themselves and play together in their water hole. When the hot summer days came, however, the pond began to dry up, and soon it was evident they would have to move. This was no problem for the ducks, who could easily fly to another pond. But the frog was stuck. So it was decided that they would put a stick in the bill of each duck that the frog could hang onto with his mouth as they flew to another pond. The plan worked well--so well, in fact, that as they were flying along a farmer looked up in admiration and mused, "Well, isn't that a clever idea! I wonder who thought of it?" The frog said, "I did..."
B. That Kind of Glory is Fleeting and False [Tom Brady's feeling for something greater
1. Who will remember this year's Olympics in 100 years?
2. What is the real origin of our accomplishments? -- 1 Corinthians 4.7
What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?
* Business Skills
* Family Skills
* Ministry Skills
* Educational Skills
C. Our Glory is Nothing