Summary: God’s Love in the wise seeking Jesus
As we journey into the New Testament and once again look at God’s Love, we will begin looking at Jesus and His life. God’s Love has been expressed throughout the Bible with the opportunity of sacrificing and atoning for man’s sin. Jesus, the ULTIMATE SACRIFICE, is the perfect example of God’s Love.
1. WISE MEN SEEK JESUS (Vs 1-2)
• Who were these ‘wise men’?
• WISE MEN WORSHIP JESUS (Vs2)
a. John 4:24 “God is a Spirit: and they that worship him, must worship him in spirit and in truth.”
b. I Peter 2:11 “If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.”
• Wise men worship in a truthful and honest manner
• Worship is a personal, intimate relationship with God and we must worship in a manner that is pleasing unto him, not unto the world
(Form and Fashion)
• “Neil Marten, a member of the British Parliament, was once giving a group of his constituents a guided tour of the Houses of Parliament. During the course of the visit, the group happened to meet Lord Hailsham, then lord chancellor, wearing all the regalia of his office. Hailsham recognized Marten among the group and cried, "Neil!" Not daring to question or disobey the "command," the entire band of visitors promptly fell to their knees!”
• We must seek God in Every aspect of our life:
3. In our Marriage’s
4. In our Families
• Lamentations 3:25 “The Lord is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.”
• Our ‘Division of Labor’
1. We wait for him: He is good to us
2. We seek him: He is good to us
• Seeking God is vital to our relationship with God, his guidance is always best and his WORD should always be referred to
2. WICKED MEN SCHEME AGAINST JESUS
• Scheme: “A secret or devious plan; a plot.”
• Herod was troubled when he heard about the birth of Jesus, why?
a. Because the ‘KING OF THE JEWS’ had been born
b. He was fearful of losing his throne
• Herod commanded the wise men to go and retrieve Jesus and bring him to the palace so that he may be able to worship him as well (This was a ploy to destroy Jesus)
• Ultimately, Satan is behind all attempts to destroy Christ and His followers, because he fully understands that it is Jesus that stands in his way of ruling
• Luke 4:8 “And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.”
• Satan offered Jesus the ‘world’ in an effort to get Him to sin, this was a scheme to thwart God’s promise of Salvation through his Son
• Satan is still working today with the same fervor that he did then, maybe even more
• He is doing this through:
a. Social issues such as ABORTION, HOMOSEXUAL AGENDA’S, HATE CRIME LEGISLATION’S WHICH MAKE THE BIBLE A FORM OF HATE SPEECH
• Satan has launched an all out attack on Christianity for two reasons:
a. He knows it is the one true and saving belief
b. He knows his time of deceit is drawing short
• A scheme is also known as a temptation to do evil, something that is clothed with untruth and basically an attempt to trick one into doing something not right
• A recent survey of Discipleship Journal readers ranked areas of greatest spiritual challenge to them:
5. (Tie) Anger/Bitterness.
5. (Tie) Sexual lust.
Survey respondents noted temptations were more potent when they had neglected their time with God (81 percent) and when they were physically tired (57 percent). Resisting temptation was accomplished by prayer (84 percent), avoiding compromising situations (76 percent), Bible study (66 percent), and being accountable to someone (52 percent).
3. WISE MEN FIND JESUS
• Even when the course to get there is difficult
• No matter of what our past contains
• “When the devil reminds you of your past, you remind him of his future!”
• II Timothy 3:15 “And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.”
• John 14:6 “…I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”