Summary: The sermon shares with us that God's word is Alive, It speaks to Us, It has feet It runs towards us,and God's word has hands it touches us. Based on a saying of Martin Luther.
Hebrews 4:12-16 God's Word is Alive
1. Martin Luther hundreds of years ago, said, "The Bible is alive, it speaks to me; it has feet, it runs after me;
it has hands, it lays hold on me."
A. The Word is Alive It Breathes and One Becomes
• 7the LORD God formed the manE from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being. Adam becomes a Living Being or Soul
B. The Word is Alive It Breaths and we Become the Blessed Ones Like Joshua
• Joshua 1: 8Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to
do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
C. The Word is Alive It Breathes and we become Born Again
• 23For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.
• 24For, "All men are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, 25 but the word of the Lord stands forever."C
2. Martin Luthur said the Word is Alive and the Word Speaks to our Souls
A. The word Is Alive It Penetrates my soul,
• vs. 12 it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow;
B. The word is Alive it unveils my attitude and thoughts;
are not hidden from God
• vs. 12 it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart .
• Everything is uncovered
C. The word is Alive It speaks to me about God's Judgment
• vs. 13Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. And laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.
3. Martin Luther said the Word is Alive It has feet, it runs after me
A. God's Word is Alive It Runs after Me Hear Job
• Job 19:22Why do you pursue me as God does?
B. God's Word is Alive It Runs us towards the Paths of Righteousness
• 1 Timothy 6:11 pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. 12Fight the good fight of the faith.
Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called
C. God's Word is Alive It has feet it Runs us Towards the Goodness of God
• Psalm 23. 6Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever. 12How can I repay the LORD for all his goodness to me?
4. Martin Luther said The Word of God is Alive it has hands, it lays hold of me.
A. The Word of God is Alive it has Hands that Touch and the results are we are Cured
• 3Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!" Immediately he was curedB of his leprosy.
B. The word of God Is Alive it has Hands that Touch and the Results fear is Removed
• "The mount of transfiguration Matthew 17: 5While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!" 6When the disciples heard this they fell facedown to the ground, terrified. 7But Jesus came and touched them. "Get up," he said. "Don't be afraid."
8When they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus.
C. The word of God Is Alive It has Hands that Touch and the results are Sorrows are removed
• Widow of Nain Luke 7: 14Then he went up and touched the coffin, and those carrying it stood still. He said, "Young man, I say to you, get up!" 15The dead man sat up and began to talk, and Jesus gave him back to his mother.
• . 16Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence One can actually talk and touch God so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need