Summary: If God is te remain faithful and be be the light of our future we must stay intentional with . . .
January 18, 2004
“Great Is His Faithfulness”
Intro.: As we continue in the year of 2004 and recognizing our churches Centennial it has been good to look back and to see the things that have stayed the same and the things that have changed.
Last week we looked in detail about things that did not change: Jesus, the Bible and Spiritual Needs. We also looked at the changes made. We Change As We Grow Older, The Way Our Culture Views Itself and The Way We Process Information has changed. All of these things have had an impact on the ministry of this church – some good and some bad.
Over these 100 years the physical and spiritual elements have changed. Obviously, many of them for the better. People’s lives and needs have changed. Ministry opportunities have changed. Many things have changed but one thing has stayed the same. The message of the gospel has always been “saved by grace through faith alone!”
Last week I shared with you part 1 of a message “Great Is His Faithfulness – Lord Of Our Past, Love Of Our Life, and Light Of Our Future.” This morning I want to take the last part and share with you some watershed moments for our church. Every point I share with you will need this preface statement; If God is to remain faithful and be the Light Of Our Future - - -
I. . . . We Must Stay Intentional With The Teaching of Scripture.
A. THE BIBLE
1. We teach the Bible so that lives may experience the power of the gospel.
2. “For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12 (quickview) .
3. The word of God is a living, life-changing tool for man’s needs.
4. With the incisiveness of a surgeon’s knife, God’s word reveals who we are and what we are.
5. We must not only listen to God’s word we must also let it shape our lives.
Doctrine – what is true? What does this rightly teach?
Reproof – what is wrong with me?
Correction – how can I literally straighten out what’s wrong?
Instruction in righteousness – how do I live routinely in the will of God?
7. We are not only to be hearers of the Word but also doers.
8. The only way that is going to happen is if we stay intentional with the teaching of Scripture.
9. We must not, cannot and should not back down, roll over, push aside, water down, ignore, reject, disregard, or refuse the teaching of Scripture if God is to remain faithful and be the light of our future.
2. Today more than ever we are living in a pluralistic society.
3. Pluralism is an attitude that boasts of being totally non-judgmental and absolutely tolerant.
4. In the arena of religion you choose whatever religion works for you and I’ll choose what works for me and we’ll all live together in peace and harmony.