Summary: RESPECT FOR GOD’S WORD IS THE PATHWAY TO RESPECTING GOD’S JUDGMENTS
RESPECT FOR GOD’S WORD IS THE PATHWAY
TO RESPECTING GOD’S JUDGMENTS
I. (:113-117) 5 WAYS TO SHOW RESPECT (LOYALTY) FOR GOD’S WORD
A. (:113) Whole-Hearted Commitment to God’s Word
this must be the starting point
1. Rejection of the Path of Wavering Commitment
"I hate those who are double-minded"
"I hate those who are undecided whether or not to obey you"
James 1:6 "a double-minded man is unstable in all his ways"
2. Passion for God’s Word
"But I love Thy law"
gives direction, stability, hope, perseverance, etc.
B. (:114) Patiently Relying on God’s Word for Ultimate Victory
1. Resting in God’s Protection from the Attacks of the Enemy
a. Making God your Hiding Place -- so attacks can’t reach you
look at how much time King David spent in hiding
b. Making God your shield to fend off attacks when the enemy finds you
2. Never Losing Confidence in Ultimate Victory through the Word
"I wait for Thy word" -- especially God’s promises
C. (:115) Rejecting the Influence of Bad Companions -- Motivated by a desire to Obey God’s Word
"Depart from me, evildoers, That I may observe the commandments of my God"
Your Company Impacts Your Conduct
D. (:116) Counting On God’s Word to Never Let You Down
"Sustain me according to Thy word, that I may live; And do not let me be ashamed of my hope."
1. Sustain You Through Trials
2. Bring all of Your Biblically-Based Hopes to Fruition
E. (:117) Clinging to God for Safety and Protection -- with the Goal of Respecting God’s Word Forever
"Uphold me that I may be safe, That I may have regard for Thy statutes continually."
II. (:118-120) 2 WAYS TO SHOW RESPECT FOR GOD’S JUDGMENTS
A. (:118-119) Appreciate God’s Judgment of the Wicked
1. Character of the Wicked
b. Disobedient -- "who wander from Thy statutes"
c. Deceitful and Futile -- "their deceitfulness is useless"
2. Severity of the Judgment
a. Rejected them
b. Removed them like dross (fairly easy for God to perform this judgment)
3. Impact on my Love for God’s Standards
"Therefore I love Thy testimonies"
B. (:120) Fear God’s Judgment Against Yourself
"My flesh trembles for fear of Thee, And I am afraid of Thy judgments"
* * * * * * * * * *
1) How solid and unwavering is our commitment to obey God’s Word? Where do we find ourselves being double-minded?
2) When it seems like God is taking a long time to fulfill His promises, do we wait patiently, drawing sustenance from His Word?
3) Do we have the type of love and loyalty for God’s commands that is pictured here?
4) Do we have a healthy respect for God’s judgments – both upon the wicked in the sense of condemnation and upon ourselves in the form of discipline and correction?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)