Summary: This sermon is about the need for genuine repentence in the heart of every Christian.
INTRODUCTION: Condit/Clinton sex scandal
Scripture Introduction (Ante-theme): Paul’s sorrowful letter. 2nd of at least 4 letters. Send Titus as a follow up.
Proposition: Because Godly sorrow leads to repentance our counseling must cause Godly sorrow.
I. Counseling that causes Godly sorrow must never be mean spirited (vv.8-9)
A. There is no delight in their sorrow (v. 8)
1. Punishing my own son.
2. Those who revel in the punishment
B. The joy is in their repentance (v. 9)
1. PCD song “Favorite Song of All”
2. Rejoicing over the lost sheep/prodigal son
II. Counseling that causes Godly sorrow must be God focused (v. 10)
A. Godly sorrow
1. Starts with God and His holiness, not man and his need
a. Ps. 51 “Against You and You alone…”
b. Bad news of your condition, good news of God’s provision
c. I am a great sinner, Christ is a great Savior
d. Results in genuine salvation
2. Neither insincere or superficial
a. Crisis sorrow – come for awhile, things get better
b. Oprah syndrome – whoa is me!
3. Always an appropriate response to real guilt
a. There is a guilt that is not real
B. Worldly sorrow
1. Starts with self and blames everyone else including God
a. It’s someone else’s fault
b. Illustration: Psychiatrist Poem
c. Too often we don’t send people to the cross, but to a couch
2. Results in death
a. MacBeth’s wife – Out d--- spot, out. Mac to doc, “canst thou minister to a mind diseased? Pluck form the memory a rooted sorrow?” Do something!
III. Counseling that causes Godly sorrow must bring forth verifiable change (v. 11)
A. Flesh each of these out.
1. Vindication – Clear “of blame” (KJV)
2. Indignation - anger aroused by something unjust, unworthy, or mean
3. Fear - Ps 111:10 “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom”
4. Longing – desire (1 Pet 1:16) "You shall be holy, for I am holy."
5. Zeal – Do you have a passion for the things of God
6. Avenging of wrong - justice
B. Where are we seeing this today?
1. We do not preach sin
a. Phyllis McGinley poem
2. Superficial teaching, response, congregations = no impact on the surrounding culture
CONCLUSION: You may never be asked to serve as the President’s personal spiritual counselor.
On January 26th, 1998 President Bill Clinton stood before the American people and stated; “I wanna say one thing to the American people, I want you to listen to me, I’m going to say this again. I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky, I never told anybody to lie, not a single time-never, these allegations are false.
In the face of insurmountable evidence Clinton retracted the previous statement and stated on September 1st, 1998, "I know that my public comments and my silence about this matter gave a false impression. I mislead people, including even my wife. I deeply regret that.” Clinton then entered into a counseling agreement with three renown religious leaders: Gordon MacDonald, an evangelical author and pastor; Tony Campolo, author and professor at Eastern College, and Philip Wogaman, pastor of Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington.