Summary: One day they were throwing down their coats, a couple days later, they spit in His face... not a good example of real worship! How can I make mine real? *HANDOUT INCLUDED*
For a CD of over 100 of sermons by Darrell Stetler II (most complete with handouts), please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Make Your Worship Genuine
It was Palm Sunday, and the mother’s 3-year old son had to stay home from church because of strep throat. When the rest of the family carrying palm branches, the little boy asked what they were for. His mother explained, “People waved them to give praise to Jesus as he walked by.”
“Wouldn’t you know it,” the boy fumed. “The one Sunday I don’t go, and Jesus shows up.” (Found at www.PreachingPlus.com)
Well, Jesus is here today. He’s here every time we gather into this place. . . today, he wants to speak to you!
SCRIPTURE: Matthew 21:1-11
1. When they had approached Jerusalem... then Jesus sent two disciples,
2. saying to them, "Go into the village opposite you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied there and a colt with her; untie them and bring them to Me.
3. "If anyone says anything to you, you shall say, ’The Lord has need of them,’ and immediately he will send them."
4. This took place to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet:
5. "...’BEHOLD YOUR KING IS COMING TO YOU, GENTLE, AND MOUNTED ON A DONKEY...
6. The disciples went and did just as Jesus had instructed them,
7. and brought the donkey and the colt, and laid their coats on them; and He sat on the coats.
8. Most of the crowd spread their coats in the road, and others were cutting branches from the trees and spreading them in the road.
9. The crowds going ahead of Him, and those who followed, were shouting, "Hosanna to the Son of David; BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD; Hosanna in the highest!"
10. When He had entered Jerusalem, all the city was stirred, saying, "Who is this?"
11. And the crowds were saying, "This is the prophet Jesus, from Nazareth in Galilee."
Here’s the amazing thing about this story: A few days later, some of these same people were gathered into the courtyard at Jesus’ trial, and screamed “Crucify him!”
If these people had really been worshipping Jesus, really praising Him, do you think they would have been so quick to change?
Have you ever been amazed at someone who praised God in church on Sunday, and then during the week was totally different? I’ve seen people stand and praise God in church on Sunday, and get high on drugs on Monday. I’ve seen people say they were surrendering their life to God one week, and turn their back on God the next.
Maybe you’ve sensed that in yourself. Maybe you’ve looked inside your heart during a week, and said, “Where’s that attitude of thankfulness and praise and surrender to God that I had on Sunday?”
How can I make my worship REAL and not FAKE?
Let me give you THREE Characteristics of fake worship:
1. Saying “God is real” only when I see Him working.
“This took place to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet: ’BEHOLD YOUR KING IS COMING TO YOU, GENTLE, AND MOUNTED ON A DONKEY...’” (Matthew 21:4-5)