Summary: Jesus to tell the disciple before his departure they need to Keep Keeping the Faith, They need to know I am sending, they need to keep Carrying on, and They need to rejoice because he goes away.
John 14:23-29 " I am leaving but I need to tell you some things"
---Jesus in chapter 14, Jesus speaks directly about his impending absence from the disciples (vv. 1-14).
2. I am leaving so I need to tell you to be "Keeping" 23-My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.
• You need to be keeping The faith believing. Remember at the beginning of the chapter " let not your heart be troubled, believe in God believe also in me" he also said, in this same chapter I am the way the truth and the life. Keep keeping the faith believing.
• You need to Keep my words honoring his words as a treasure of great importance
2423Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching., your words are alight unto my path
• Jesus tells them they need to be keeping their love strong by keeping commandments
Verse 15: “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.”
Verse 21: “Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me.”
Verse 23: “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word.”
Verse 24: “Whoever does not love me does not keep my words.” Jesus means perhaps we should desire him, we love him, we want him, we enjoy him, we prefer him over many things.
• Loving Jesus is Wanting Jesus, Desiring Jesus , Enjoying Jesus, Preferring Jesus
3. I am leaving but I need to tell you I am sending vs 26 .
• Jesus Prepares the disciples for his absence; He tells them he is sending the Holy Spirit vs 26 26But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you
• I am sending "an Advocate" (v. 26) comes from parakhtos, which indicates one who is called to be around, at the side of another, to be of aid.
• I am sending a Comforter, a Counselor, a Encourager, a Helper, A Paraclete. "one who is called upon to lend aid by taking up the cause of another and giving guidance out of trouble."
• I am sending the Holy Spirit as God's ongoing presence
4. I am leaving but I need to tell you to keep carrying on after I am gone.
• Keep Carrying on Peace because wherever you go freedom will be present even in great disturbance, serenity will calm the storms of persecution when you go through the fire I or peace will be in your midst.
• Keep carrying on despite thoughts of despair.
• Encourages the disciples to carry on after he is gone; He tells them they will receive peace to deal with their anxiety 27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you."
• Keep carrying on even in the face of fear Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. He Promises the disciples that they will not be abandoned by God as they carry on;
5. I am leaving but I need to tell you to be rejoicing because I leave
• He tells them they should rejoice that he is returning to the Father because Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
• He tells them to rejoice "I am coming back to them in the future "vs 28
• They can rejoice that he leaves, that he comes back because the plan of God is being fulfilled.
6. I am leaving but I need to tell you to Arise and let us go. Although I am gone I am still with you. vs 31
• Arise and let us keep on keeping the faith, keeping his words, keeping your love strong
• Arise and let us keep carrying on despite thoughts of despair And fear
• Arise and let us go because God has sent the advocate, comforter, Gods presence
• Arise and let us go because we can rejoice he is coming back
• I tell you now these things so you will believe later