Summary: In God we trust but all people do, there seems to be none who trust in God, But we Trust because God is a refuge, and In God we Trust because we believe there is a better day.
“In God we Trust” Psalm 14
1. Not all people will say in God we Trust
• Some people say there is no God. 1 Fools say in their hearts, ‘There is no God.’They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds; there is no one who does good.
• In ancient times , They do not believe in the nonexistence of God but they have no regard
for God and God's ways,
• The Fool believes that what God wants doesn't matter. In saying, "There is no God," fools are thus not declaring the nonexistence of any deity; in the ancient Near East,
• The Fools believe they can act with impunity, as though bad conduct won't be noticed or
punished by God.
• Consider Psalm 10:13 says, "Why do the wicked renounce God, and say in their hearts, 'You will not call us to
• Jeremiah 5:12 says, "They have spoken falsely of the LORD, and have said, 'He will do nothing. No evil [harm
• or trouble] will come upon us.'"
• God does notice; God does punish. Fools will end up trembling with unexpected terror (the Hebrew says "[they will] dread a dread"), because of their "devouring" of people and their not calling upon God.
• Not all people will say in God we trust, but one day is a time when every knee shall bow and every
tongue shall confess.
2. There seems to be none in God we Trust God searches for those who would in God we trust
• 2 The Lord looks down from heaven on humankind to see if there are any who are wise, who seek after God.
• The fool is without reason and senseless God asks are there any wise?
• As God searches hear what God finds 3 They have all gone astray, they are all alike perverse;there is
no one who does good,no, not one.
• God goes about like the Greek philosopher Diogenes who was carrying a lamp even in the daytime, looking for one honest man.
• Jeremiah 5:1 and Zephaniah 1:12 ("At that time I [the LORD] will search Jerusalem with lamps, and I will punish the people who rest complacently and] say in their hearts, 'The LORD will not do good, nor will he do
3. In God we trust because the lord is a refuge. 5 There they shall be in great terror,for God is with the company of the righteous. 6 You would confound the plans of the poor, but the Lord is their refuge.
• (vv. 4-5). God looks suspiciously at those who would hurt or humiliate the poor (the demoralized oppressed ones), for whom God is their refuge (v. 6).
• "Don't mess with Gods beloved"
4. In God we trust because we know there is a better day
• 7 O that deliverance for Israel would come from Zion! When the Lord restores the fortunes of his people, Jacob will rejoice; Israel will be glad
• Weeping will endure through the night but joy comes in the morning,
• Friday is bad but remember Sunday is coming
• In You God we trust because We have read the stories of your greatness and power.
• In God we Trust because We have felt the tug of your Spirit and heard the Spirit's still, small
• In God we trust because We have seen your hand in providing our needs, in miracles small