Summary: We find ourselves influenced from so many directions. In this age of social media, there are a plethora of negative influences demanding our attention and agreement. What influences us is under our control to a large degree. Let see what God tells us about INFLUENCES in Psalm 1.
I. WE HAVE THE CHOICE OF SPIRITUAL EMPTINESS (1, 4-5).
1. We can choose the influence of ungodly people and/or things (1).
1) We can align ourselves with ungodly counsel (follow their advice).
2) We can pattern our conduct after ungodly examples.
3) We can strengthen our own ideas through the mockery of truth.
2. Are we being influenced by things that lead to emptiness? (4, “chaff”).
1) Our life can be marked by emptiness if we receive ungodly counsel.
2) We will have a clear lack of direction if this is what we choose.
3. Are we entrusting our lives to emptiness and fruitlessness? (5).
1) The fruits of wickedness spoil and cannot stand.
2) The spoiled fruit is separated by God from the good fruit.
II. WE HAVE THE CHOICE OF SPIRITUAL PROSPERITY (1-3).
1. We can choose to be influenced by godly people and things (1).
1) We can align ourselves with Godly counsel.
2) We can pattern our conduct after Godly examples.
3) We can strengthen our faith through careful study. Why study? So that...
2. …We ARE influenced by things that lead to fruitfulness. (2).
1) We delight in obeying God’s word (John 14:15, 21, 23; 15:10, 14).
2) We think about, muse over and speak aloud the word of God.
3. Are we entrusting our lives to fulfillment and fruitfulness? (3).
1) Are we are solidly and deeply planted and rooted in the Lord?
2) We are planted on purpose and in the right place (“canals”).
(Most likely a Palm tree planted by a canal or an oasis.)
3) Meditation bears its fruit when we need it.
4) Meditation keeps us spiritually nourished through the droughts.
5) Meditation gives us the wisdom of God for making correct decisions leading to spiritual success.
III. WHAT WILL BE THE MAJOR INFLUENCE IN YOUR LIFE? (6).
1. The Godly enjoy the eternal protection and guidance of God.
2. The wicked earn eternal damnation and emptiness.
WILL YOU MAKE THE BEST GODLY CHOICES?
WILL YOU COMMIT YOUR LIFE TO LEARNING TO FOLLOW JESUS?