Summary: Intro to series on Gospel of John
John 1:1-2 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God.
I. Why Study through a book of the Bible?
A. God wrote it that way
1. Chapters & verse numbers first started 1551
2. People for the 1st time were able to follow along with each other
3. Today many look at the Bible as if it is random verses.
B. We can understand Scripture better this way
1. We can see the CONTEXT of scripture
2. We can learn to understand the Bible for ourselves
Illistration on why context and wording matters:
I like cooking my family and my pets. (Comas matter)
A ‘fat chance’ and a ‘slim chance’ mean the same thing.
Red tape holds up bridges.
II. How do you study a book?
A. The Bible calls itself a sword, hammer, & fire
Jeremiah 23:29 Does not my word burn like fire?" says the LORD. "Is it not like a mighty hammer that smashes a rock to pieces?
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.
1. It can be Dangerous (when used out of context or to control people)
2. It must be handled with care
B. Ask the right Questions.
1. So what did it mean then (Context) Learn it
2. So what does it mean now (Meaning does not change so how do I connect it to todays world?) (Explanation) Link it
3. So what am I going to do about it. (Application) Live it
III. The writing of John?
A. John one of the 12 disciples
1. Internal evidence such as referring to himself in the 3rd person
2. The author was clearly part of the inner circle
3. Church father’s pointed to John as the author
B. Written between 55-95 AD most likely in the early 80’s
1. John was about 17 years old when Jesus was on the cross
2. John was not martyred as the other disciples were.
C. Themes in John’s writings
1. Deity of Jesus, Salvation, Love,
2. Combat misunderstandings by Gnostics
John 20:30-31 Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name.
1. Reading the Bible is different then reading other books
(Learn it, Link it)
2. The Bible was not written for your INFORMATION but for your TRANSFORMATION (LIVE IT).
3. Our goal in the next few years is to get to know and love Jesus more.