Summary: Covid-19 makes us have essential and non-essential workers this Palm Sunday it was essential. It Was Essential that Jesus went to Jerusalem, there is an essential need not only in Jerusalem, but in the world, It’s essential that we all be Christ Bearers, Its essential we offer people Hope.
Mark 11:1-11 “It’s Essential”
1. First, why did Jesus go to Jerusalem It was essential?
• Prior to events of this day Jesus was in Jericho, where he healed a blind beggar and ate with a known tax collector (Luke 18:35– 35 The Blind man was setting by the road "He called out, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on 42Jesus said to him, "Receive your sight; your faith has healed you."
• Jesus shows up because it was essential. In Luke 18:31, Jesus tells his disciples, “See, we are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written about the Son of Man by the prophets will be accomplished.” He goes on to predict his death and resurrection for the third time, but even his own cabinet of disciples do not understand the plan (18:34)
2. Jesus goes to Jerusalem because there is an essential Need. It is Essential that there be Christ Bearers (The Donkey was a Christ Bearer) •
• This animal can teach us a lot, because she is the creature who carries Christ into the world. The donkey was a Christ-bearer, Jesus said, "Go to the village ahead of you, find a colt tied there, bring it here. 3If anyone asks you, `Why are you doing this?' tell him, `The Lord needs it and will send it back shortly.'
• WE can be the Christ bearer by Following Christ’s direction; being willing to go where he wants to go, not where we want to go.
• We Can be the Christ Bearer by Being obedient to the will of the One who holds the reins.
• We can be the Christ Bearer by being a Burden bearer Last week Jesus wept We can weep with you, we can be saddened with you, we can feel with you, we can be disappointed with you, wounded with you, we can hurt with you
• We can be the Christ bearer by Persevering In Prayer Romans tells us 12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. holding fast to what is good To live in this way means that we are going to contribute to the needs of the saints,
3. It’s Essential that People Have Hope or Hosanna
• 8Many people spread their cloaks on the road, while others spread branches 9Those who went ahead and who followed shouted, "Hosanna!A" "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!"B 10"Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David!" "Hosanna in the highest!
• Hebrew and Aramaic phrase that means "Help!" or "Save us!" “I beg you to save!” or “please deliver us!”
• They thought Jesus would defeat Rome’s Control like Samson conquered Philistines
• The people desire a deliverer like Moses who cried out “come see the salvation of the lord” and the Red sea parted and Pharaohs army drowned
• This Messiah would save, help, deliver by means of his own death for forgiveness of sin
• John Needed Hope "Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor.
4. It Was Essential that Jesus went to Jerusalem, there is an essential need not only in Jerusalem, but in the world, It’s essential that we all be Christ Bearers, Its essential we offer people Hope.
• We are in this together, Its Essential we stay at home, Its essential we social distance, It’s Essential That we Listen to the professionals In this case its Christ
• Titus 2:11 - For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men
• Ephesians 1:7 - We have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
• Romans 1:16 - The gospel is the power of God unto salvation.
• Its Essential you hear the Voice
• Jn 5:24, 25-29 Truly, Truly I say to you, he who hears My word and believes has everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation, but is passed from death to life. the hour is coming when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God Do not marvel at this, for the hour is coming in which all that are in the grave
• shall hear His voice and shall come forth; they who have done good to the resurrection of life, and they who have done evil to the resurrection of damnation.”