Summary: A look at Jesus’ desire to have a bride, from OT to NT to Second Coming.
Jesus and His bride. Advent 2. 7/12/03am WBC
Mt 22:1-13, 1 Thess 4:16-18, Rev 19:6-9
Topic chosen because
- Advent: look at return of Christ
- Alpha: looked at church. Not a building but described as: ¡¥family of God¡¦, ¡¥body of Christ¡¦ and ¡¥bride of Christ¡¦
o Realised there¡¦s just SO much in that last term to encourage us
God has always loved His creation and creatures
- unlike Enuma Elish. ¡¥gods¡¦ hate man.
- In Bible- God walks with man in the garden. Protected environment
But ¡¥man¡¦ goes astray- and the OT is filled with the lover trying to woo back the straying be-loved
- ¡¥Adam, where ARE you¡¦?
- Hosea: told to marry a loose woman¡K then forgive and take her back when she strayed- as it¡¦s an image of God¡¦s love for people
o His specific people¡K the Jews at that point
You see- in days when people worshipped many ¡¥gods¡¦ and did all kinds of horrible things like sacrifice children
- God found a man with a heart for Him: Abraham
o Left ¡¥polytheism¡¦ and practices of Ur (Babylon)
- God set His heart on reaching ALL people through THESE people
o Made a covenant with them. Not unlike our marriage vows
But even then- the wooer was snubbed so often. Heart broken.
Jer 2:2 " `I remember the devotion of your youth,
how as a bride you loved me
and followed me through the desert,
through a land not sown.
The language of lover, wo-er is used.
- Other language is used, as well- of Father¡¦s concern for wayward son, mother¡¦s love for baby at breast, righteous king¡¦s concern for silly subjects
And there¡¦s the promise of closer relationship- that of right marriage:
HOS 2:14 "Therefore I am now going to allure her;
I will lead her into the desert
and speak tenderly to her.
HOS 2:15 There I will give her back her vineyards,
and will make the Valley of Achor a door of hope.
There she will sing as in the days of her youth,
as in the day she came up out of Egypt.
HOS 2:16 "In that day," declares the LORD,
"you will call me `my husband’;
you will no longer call me `my master. ’
The promise of it moving from head to heart, religion more into relationship¡K along with a growing expectancy that someone special, the Messiah, is coming to bring about this new era
Regarding the old Jewish way of doing marriage I am told that the whole process started with debate and negotiation
- sometimes it would start with the groom (to be) asking his father to ¡¥get that one for me! We like each other¡¦
- most often- the Father¡¦s would negotiate over what was best for their children
o groom¡¦s father would go to bride¡¦s father¡K and the process would start
„X often a year before wedding itself
„X sometimes more (if children)
„X sometimes they wouldn¡¦t (fully) meet until married
Here- God the Father seeks out a bride for His Son. The process of wooing and debate takes aeons.
- At least 200 years between Abraham & Jesus
- 10¡¦s of thousands of years since ¡¥man¡¦ became a ¡¥living, spiritual being¡¦
After debate, the two Father¡¦s would agree, and the couple would, ¡¥officially¡¦ be ¡¥engaged¡¦. Married in spirit.
- their word= betrothed
- = stronger than our engagement
- sometimes even referred to as ¡¥wife¡¦
The groom¡¦s Father would pay a ¡¥bride price¡¦
- and would also, often, lavish gifts on the bride (to be)
This was a ¡¥downpayment¡¦.,.. a promise¡K of what was to come
- this gave both parties the security, stability that was needed before they moved to the next phase
Infidelity during this phase was seen as adultery
- can understand Joseph¡¦s nerves!
The Father paid the price for us. The bride price has been paid
- the cost was his own Son¡K the groom!
And we are told that the Holy Spirit is the downpayment, deposit (lit ¡¥engagement ring!) guaranteeing what is to come
- our marriage to the Lord
Eph 1:13 Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession--to the praise of his glory.
- it¡¦s a SURE THING.
And the Father has lavished us with gifts.
- poured out the gift of the HS, and the GIFTS of the HS
You can see the picture developing of Jesus and His love, plan, for His bride, eh?
- can understand why, when we go after ¡¥other lovers¡¦ in our lives James (as we¡¦ve studied) calls us ¡¥adulterers.
- We¡¦re betrothed to Jesus
But actually- THIS is not the point that we are at in Salvation-history