Summary: The sermon describes how being a disciple can cause division with the world, family, and priorities in ones life.
Jesus brings Division Luke 12:49-56
1. Being the Disciple of Jesus "Man it's all Good"
• I wake up every day I am blessed
• I can't wait to share the good news that is written in my heart that another heart might be blessed
• I once was crooked now I am straight
• I once was lost in my world but now I am found in God's world It is good
• I once was burdened with oldness now I am a new creature
• If I die I am blessed If I live I am blessed
2. Today's Text does not reveal being Disciple is all good, but may be a lot of Division
• Jesus says, "49"I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled.(Judgment)
• Jesus says, ! 50But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is completed! (The suffering he was to endure)
• Jesus says, ! 51Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division.
• Jesus says, "52From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other
• Jesus says, "Father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law."
3. WE already have plenty of things that cause Division consider the following things that divide
• politics, nationalism, ethnicity, economic status, social standing, educational level, religion, denominations, cultural issues (such as gun control, abortion, immigration, same-sex marriage, you better read from KJV or it ain't the Bible etc
• Charles Spurgeon was a great preacher in the late 1800s. He preached to approximately 6,000 people every Sunday morning in London for almost 40 years. In 1886, while preaching at the massive Agricultural Hall in London, Spurgeon shouted this toward the end of his message:
• "To each one of you I say with deepest earnestness, let a division be made by your conscience. Let your understanding separate between him that feareth God and him that feareth Him not. Let each man question himself this morning: 'Am I on the Lord's side? Am I for Christ or for His enemies? Do I gather with Him, or do I scatter abroad?' 'Divide! Divide!' they say in the House of Commons. Let us say the same in this great congregation this day. Political divisions are but trifles compared with the all-important distinction or division which I would have you consider.
• "Divide as you will be divided, to the right or to the left, in the great day when Christ shall judge the world in righteousness. Divide as you will be divided when the bliss of heaven or the woes of hell shall be your everlasting portion. 'Choose you this day whom you will serve; as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.' 'Who is on the Lord's side?' says Moses. 'Come and follow Me.' 'How long will you hesitate between two opinions? If the Lord is God,' said Elijah, 'follow Him and serve Him; but if not, if Baal is God, follow him. But choose you this day.'"
Spurgeon understood the Gospel of Jesus Christ divides mankind!
4. Is it true to be a Disciple will cause Division? Yes if we are sold out for Christ
A. . Matthew 10:22All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.
B. If you are sold out for Jesus there is Priority issues Remember Jesus said,
• Luke 9:59He said to another man, "Follow me." But the man replied, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father." 60Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God." 61Still another said, "I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say good-by to my family." 62Jesus replied, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."
C. If one is sold out there will be division between two roads to follow
D. If one is sold out there will be division between which tree I choose to be
• The tree that bears fruit or the tree that does not
E. If one is sold out you will have division on which foundation am I going to be on
• Solid Foundation or the sinking sand foundation. 25The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.
• If one will be sold out then He or She
• 2 Timothy 3:1 in the last days. 2People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good 4treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God-- 5having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.