Summary: Matthew 24 looks into the near future and the distant future.
Full manuscript follows outline...
1. Jesus is on the Mt of Olives Across The Valley From The Temple.
• Jesus will ascend from the Mt of Olives (Acts 1:10-12)
• Jesus will return on the Mt. of Olives. (Zech 14:4)
2. Jesus Gives A Prophesy of The Temple’s Demise: v. 2, 15-21
• AD 66, riots broke out leading to the great revolt
• Temple destroyed in AD 70.
• Historian Josephus says the suffering of 66-70 has no equal.
• Abomination? (Daniel 9:29) - AD 130 Emperor Hadrian decided the city should be plowed into the ground and a new city built in its place. A temple to Jupiter was built on the temple mount and a temple to Venus on Calvary.
• Could be for Daniel 9:26?
• Luke 21:24 “Jerusalem will be trampled on...”
3. Jesus Shows Himself to be Lord Of History: v. 2 and v. 8
• “all these are (only) the beginning of birth pains”
• “don’t be alarmed” v. 6
• See, I have told you ahead of time – v. 25
• “right side of history”???
***The destruction of the temple (AD70) and the end of the age are two separate events... blended here. (OT too)
4. Pretenders Will Arise And Try To Deceive; v. 5
...many will claim, “I am the messiah.”
Don’t be vulnerable – know the gospel.
5. There Will Be Intense Persecution for Believers; v. 9-10
“you will be hated by all nations” v. 9
6. Wickedness Will Increase & Many Will Become Cold To God; v. 12
Do we see this?
Perseverance will be necessary; v. 13
Renewal is needed!
7. The Mission Remains The Mission; v. 14
...preach the gospel to the whole world!
“then the end will come” - this is the mercy of God toward sinners.
Matthew 28:18-20 – The great commission.
8. Always Be Ready For Jesus Return; v. 30, 36-37, 42
Call To Action ? Be alert...“keep watch”... v. 42
“Keep Watch” Means...
• Be aware ... not afraid.
• Be ready ... not complacent.
• Be faithful... and persevere.
• Be busy ... on mission.
Title: “Future Perfect” (Series: Peace in the Pandemic)
Introduction: Futurist Institute (Prophet?)
The Futurist Institute offers an array of in-person training programs and services including in-person Certified Futurist™ training program, customized one-day programs on specific topics, and event speeches. Let us help you prepare for the future!
The Futurist Institute was founded in 2016 to help analysts become futurists by providing the content and context to take longer-term views on business opportunities, risk management, markets, and the economy. The Futurist Institute confers the Futurist and Long-Term Analyst™ (FLTA) designation and helps analysts become Certified Futurists™.
Founder - Jason Schenker is the world’s top ranked Financial Market Futurist. He is the Chairman of the Futurist Institute and the President of Prestige Economics. Mr. Schenker advises executives, corporate boards, public corporations, private companies, central banks, and governmental bodies.
Matthew 24 - The Destruction of the Temple and Signs of the End Times
Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings. 2 “Do you see all these things?” he asked. “Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”
3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately.
“Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen,
what will be the sign of your coming
of the end of the age?”
4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you.
5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
All these are (merely) the beginning of birth pains.
9 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me.
10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other,11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people.
12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
(does this refer to AD 70?)
15 “So when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation,’ spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand— 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let no one on the housetop go down to take anything out of the house. 18 Let no one in the field go back to get their cloak. 19 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! 20 Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again.