Summary: many people want a secure life...in this sermon we explore that Jesus is the only one who can offer true security
Jesus: the way to eternity
What do we trust to give us a secure life?
To enhance our life
We are constantly bombarded with promises of a better life
An easier life
What are some of those things that you believe will give you a better life
How tightly do you hold onto them
What are those things that you put your trust in because you believe they will result in you having a good life…
A more secure life
A Fulfilled your life
What are the things you came up with:
• More money
• A happy family
• Working harder and longer
• A secure or united organisation
• Good education
• Conservative investing
• Your superannuation fund
• What about spending time on yourself and your family
All these things have the potential to bring you some benefits.
But are they guaranteed?
Can you rely on them to bring you a better life.
A more secure life?
Relying completely on any one of these for a better life….
will result in disappointment…
will result in you missing out
Consider some of the events in recent weeks
• Christine and Lee Rush’s life has been turned upside down because their son is now sitting in a Bali gaol likely to be charged with drug trafficking offences
• Over the last month Superannuation funds in Australia have on average produced a negative return, in other words some superannuation funds actually lost money
• In the UK, car manufacturer MG Rover, a company that has been around for over 100 years was placed in administration and most its 6000 staff were sacked
• And we frequently hear of stories of life being cut short, people losing property in fires, family and friends,
The one thing that is guaranteed is that when we put our trust solely in the things God has created rather than God himself
We are likely to be disappointed
this disappointment may or may not happen in the short term
but it will definitely occur in the future….
Relying completely on something or someone other than God is dangerous
Often such a life is self centred,
and when it is self centred people will do almost anything to obtain and maintain the things and people they believe will give them a better life
Some will work hard forgetting that they have responsibilities elsewhere,
some will lie, cheat, steal, deceive
and there is a host of other things people will get up to give them the chance of a better life…
even if it hurts someone else
This sort of life is self centred not God centred.
And even when we are focussed on obtaining a better life through such means…
we can never be certain whether
• what we rely on will be good enough
• circumstances will remain the same or turn out as we planned
• we will be good enough
However there is another way
Jesus says trust in God…trust in me!!!
Do not trouble yourself
In other words do not stress yourself out unnecessarily
You maybe thinking how can he say this?
Doesn’t he see our world?
He does, and he knows we will experience difficulties
This is not Jesus saying hey, don’t worry be happy
Some people will drive you crazy….
with this sort of saying
when you are going through a tough time