Summary: John points people although he was different, John points people by confronting, John points people to Jesus because he believes it is a crucial confrontation.
1. John the Baptist Points people
A. Considered the forerunner of Jesus born 7BC to Zechariah a priest
B. Preached Repentance came, preaching in the Desert of Judea 2and saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near."
C. John is displays the character of a real preacher
He is Honest, confident, committed, creative, and has the ability to inspire others.
2. John was a Peculiar person non doubt what can we learn?
Let God be God accept who God calls consider the wild John
A. Johns clothing were made of camel's hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey.
B. He Proclaims repent Turn from your direction go in a different direction
C. John is a prophet who speaks God's word clearly
• Calls people to repent turn away from sin and turn to Christ
• Calls people to change because the end is near
• Calls people by challenging them in the genuine-ness of faith 8Produce fruit in keeping with repentance
3. John Confronts sin and people
A. Confronting is holding someone accountable
B. John confronts vs 7 the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?
C. John also confronts the meady- ocher religion
• The people say We have Abraham as our father. See Jn 8:39.
• John says Salvation does not come as a birthright (even for the Jews) but through faith in Christ (Ro 2:28-29; Gal 3:7,9,29).
• John says, The true people of God are not limited to the physical descendants of Abraham (cf. Ro 9:6.
4. John also Points People to Jesus
A. Isaiah Prophesized that John would Point people not to himself but to Jesus
• I must decrease that he may increase
• "A voice of one calling in the desert, Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.' "
B. John Points the people to one that is Greater than Him 11"I baptize you withB water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry.
C. John Points People to One that is Capable to eliminate Impurities. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. 12His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire."
D. John Points people to Crucial Confrontation such as is In the business world
• ." Most of us will naturally struggle with this, because we don't like to be confronted. But to confront is to "hold someone accountable, face to face," according to the business book Crucial Confrontations. When confrontations are handled correctly, "both parties talk openly and honestly."
• It is a crucial confrontation today it is your soul’s destiny at stack
• We can ignore Jesus
• We can push Jesus away
• Or today as we are confronted we can respond with acceptance