Summary: This is a study of faith from the book of Hebrews chapter 11.
Keeping the Faith#1
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
Introduction. There is a close relationship between faith and hope. Faith is something you believe in. Hope is something you expect. And so our faith, or belief, is the substance, which means foundation, of things hoped for, or expected. We hope, or expect God to do things because of our faith in him. Therefore a person that has the foundation of faith has hope. A person that has hope has it because of their faith. So if you have faith you have hope, if you have no hope then it’s because you have no faith.
1. The obedience of faith.
Hebrews 11:8 By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after
receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.
A. We see Abrahmam obeyed God simply on his Faith.
2. The sojourny of faith.
Hebrews 11:9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in
tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
A. We see Abraham’s consistency, even in a strange country, he continued to believe in God.
3. The Expectation of faith.
Hebrews 11:10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is
A. This is Abrahams incintive. He had great expectations.
1. He looked for a city whos builder and maker was God.
4. The evidence of faith.
Hebrews 11:11 Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was
delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.
Hebrews 11:12 Therefore sprang there even of one, and him as good as dead, so many as the stars of the sky in multitude, and as the sand which is by the sea shore innumerable.
A. The birth of Issac was evidence of the
fullillment of Abrahams faith.
1. For through the birth of Issac, God brought forth one who would bridge the gap between God and Man, namely, Christ Jesus our Lord.
5. The answer of faith.
Hebrews 11:13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them
afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers
and pilgrims on the earth.
A. These all died in faith, not having seen the promise.
1. He did not see the fullfilment of his faith while he was living. But by faith, and through spiritual eyes he saw it’s fullfilment afar off.
Hebrews 11:14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.
Hebrews 11:15 And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out,
they might have had opportunity to have returned.
Hebrews 11:16 But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not
ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.
B. We see Abraham AFTER HIS DEATH.
Luke 16:29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
Luke 16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they
Luke 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be
persuaded, though one rose from the dead.
1. Notice his words. Neither will they be persuaded though one rose from the dead. Here we again see Abraham after he has died and went to abrahams bosom still looking ahead for the fulfillment of his faith.
C. Finally we see abrahams faith completed.
Ephesians 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower
parts of the earth?
Ephesians 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that
he might fill all things.)
1. After the Lord Jesus died, he descended into Abrahams bosom, preached to the spirits that were in prison, led captivity captive, took the keys of death and Hell, and delivered all of the old saints of God that were there awaiting his coming.
2. Further proof of this is found in the Lords reply to Mary after his ressurection.
John 20:17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to
my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and
3. You see here that he had not ascended into the Heavens, therefore, during the time he was in the tomb, Jesus delivered Abraham and all of the saints withing paradise to that heavenly city they had seen afar off.
6. Keep the faith.
A. Friends, see the great victory that came for a man that kept the faith. Even in adversity. What a great God we have.