Summary: David shares key to why he sleeps well.
“Keys to a good night of rest” Psalm 4 1-8
1. David key to rest or sleep is ongoing period of prayer
• He boldly asserts "I will " in verse 8, "I will both lie down and sleep in peace; for you alone, O LORD, make me lie down in safe
• Sometimes we feel God is not present or there. Listen. David says in psalm 131:2 "I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me" (NIV).
• Being weaned from its mother's breast can be a difficult experience for an infant, but (s)he learns to be content, confident in the ongoing presence of its mother; accordingly, David encourages God's people to wait expectantly for the Lord's presence and power in their lives (131:3).
2. Another key to a good night rest is acknowledging Gods ability to keep us safe
• Davids prayer is evening prayer based on verses 4 and 8
• David declares in 8a: NRSV: "I will both lie down and sleep in peace [shalom in Hebrew)
• In 8b David gives the reason for his being able to sleep so well: NRSV: "[F]or you alone, O LORD, make me lie down in safety"
• David says, "As I lie in bed, I remember you; all night long I think of you, because you have always been my help. In the shadow of your wings I sing for joy. I cling to you, and your hand keeps me safe."
Psalmist records the following God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Isaiah 41:10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
2Thessalonians 3:3 But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one.
Psalm 23 the lord is my shepherded I shalt not want he make the me to lie down in green pastures
2Samuel 22:3-4 my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior; you save me from violence. 4 I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies
3. David’s keys to good night rest is to Trust in God have confidence in God, and have security in God
• David trusts God We can turn our own fears, anxieties and worries over to God because we can trust God to be protectively with us each night.
• And we can also reflect on the heartening words of Jesus in Matthew 6:25-34 and Paul in Philippians 4:4-9.Matthew 6:25-26 Therefore I say unto you , Take no thought for your life , what ye shall eat , or what ye shall drink ; nor yet for your body , what ye shall put on . Is not the life more than meat , and the body than raiment ?
• Behold the fowls of the air : for they sow not , neither do they reap , nor gather into barns ; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them . Are ye not much better than they ?
• David has confidence in God David places himself confidently in God's caring hands, relying assuredly on him to the extent that he not unduly concerned with his present circumstances.
• David has security in God he believes when he calls without doubt God hears But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him.
4. Davids key to a good night rest is stop sining Sin will keep you up all night
• David says when you are shaken "When you are disturbed" (v. 4a) Stand in awe , and sin not: "Tremble with fear and do not sin!" NIV has "In your anger do not sin." See James 1:19-20. translates "Meditate as you lie in bed, and repent of your ways!,"
5. David found another key to get a good nights rest is to worship early in the morning
• Worship give one a good night rest Offer the sacrifices of righteousness , and put your trust in the LORD
• Worship gives David a lift me up LORD , lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.
• Worship give David gladness Thou hast put gladness in my heart , more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased . I will both lay me down in peace , and sleep : for thou, LORD , only makest me dwell in safety .
6 finally, Keys to a good night rest