Summary: The sermons teaches us that we must do as God told Israel you must learn to do good.
Learn To Do Good Isaiah 1:1, 10-20
1. The text announces a Vision that the Prophet saw Read verse 1. The prophet or Nevi sometimes spelled Nabi refers to one who speaks God’s Word and sees what God sees. The vision Isaiah sees is exactly what God sees.
A. The Vision Isaiah saw and what God sees is the following :"They Do Not Know “Refusal to Know or understand God
• 3The ox knows his master, the donkey his owner's manger, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand."
B. The Vision he sees is they are very rebellious
• 4Ah, sinful nation, a people loaded with guilt, a brood of evildoers, children given to corruption! They have forsaken the LORD; there is no soundness-- only wounds and welts and open sore, not cleansed or bandaged or soothed with oil.
C. The Vision he sees they are compared to the City of Sodom
• 10Hear the word of the LORD, you rulers of Sodom; listen to the law of our God, you people of Gomorrah!
D. Generally we associate Sodom and Gomorrah with sexual desires but consider the Prophet Ezekiel
• who sees as God Sees Ezekiel 16:4949" `Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen. 51Samaria did not commit half the sins you did.
E. Their Sins are associated with Not Protecting the Vulnerable
Consider the Inscription on the Statue of liberty
• "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door."-Emma Lazarus
2. God says Israel has done really bad they have done so bad that
• His people are a burden vs 14 They have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them.
• They have been so bad that 15When you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide my eyes from you; even if you offer many prayers, I will not listen.
• He makes an announcement: Your hands are full of blood; 16 wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight! Stop doing wrong,
3. They may have thought they were without hope But God says,
• 18"Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.
• 26I will restore your judges as in days of old, your counselors as at the beginning. Afterward you will be called the City of Righteousness, the Faithful City." You will be known as the City of Truth. Learn to Do Good.
4. How is Israel going to cleanse themselves, "They must learn to do good" Israel's Solution as is ours we " Must learn to do Good"17 learn to do right!
• Do Good by Seeking Justice
Do Good by encouraging the Oppressed
Do Good defend the cause of the Fatherless and plead
• Do Good by Spurring, by meeting, and by encouraging. Hebrews 10: 24And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. 25Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another and all the more as you see the Day approaching.