Summary: If one lives on the Gospel Side of life he or she must get their mind right, put to death, death words, be clothed with integrity, right living.
“Live The Gospel Side” Colossians 3:1-11
• You often heard it been said, " He is my right hand man"
• The word right hand appears over 150 times in Scripture
• God inspired Isaiah to write “For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you” (Isaiah 41:13). Place of strength
• Jesus said, "The Lord said, “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool” (Luke 20:42-43) which, being at the right hand, is the place of authority
• James and John once came up to Jesus and asked Him “Grant us to sit, one at your right hand and one at your left, in your glory” (Mark 10:37) being at the right hand is symbolic of having authority and power.
• Clearly we see that the right hand is symbolic of ruler-ship, authority, sovereignty, blessing, and strength and is significant in Scripture. We even see this in separating the sheep from the goats at the judgment as Jesus said “Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left” (Matt 25:32-33).
• In many churches there are two podiums the smaller on left side is referred to as Lectern where announcements were made, prayers, songs, texts read, the other podium on the right side is the Pulpit. This pulpit side has often been referred to as "the gospel side."
1. Paul says, the church has to get its mind right in order to live on the Gospel Side
• “A life that lives on the Side of the Gospel Paul says, “they have set their hearts on things above” Colossians 3:2 Paul continues to say, “Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
• If we live on the Side of the Gospel we have Redirected our minds on whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Philippians 4:8 I got my mind right
• Recall the movie “Cool Hand Luke” Paul Newman in a prison where he is defiant towards the prison system and warden. Luke always escapes Warden as a result of Luke rebellious spirit the warden is always displaying acts of cruelty towards Luke and telling Luke “You have to get your mind right.” Finally after digging dirt one whole day it appears Luke is broke and responds “Boss I got my mind right”
2. Living on the Gospel Side we put to death things we no longer use Death Words, But Life Words
• Luke says Jesus spoke Life words 22All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words
that came from his lips. "
• We should speak life words that please God 14May the words of my mouth and the meditation of
my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.
• Those who are living the Gospel Side Have died the old self 3For you died, and your life is now
hidden with Christ in God. 5Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature
3. When we live the Gospel Side we are being clothed with integrity, right living, righteousness some
Clothes don’t fit anymore
• When we Live the gospel Side these no longer fit : sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and
greed, which is idolatry. anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.
• When we Live the Gospel Side we are Wearing New Clothes 9 you have taken off your old self (Old Clothes) with its practices 10and have put on the new self ( New Clothes) These fit better love, joy, peace,
forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control
4. In Conclusion,
• The Gospel Side is Getting our Minds Right set your thought in things above
• The Gospel Side teaches us Life Words not Death Words Rom 8:31. "If God be
• for us, who can be against us? Mark 9:23., all things are possible to him that believes Josh 1:9. "Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
• The Gospel Side Believers or livers are clothed in Garments of Salvation, Garments of Righteousness, Decked with ornaments and adorned with Jewels, says Isaiah 61:10 the Prophet
If your mind is not right get it right
If you only have death words get on the gospel side and you will use life words
If you get on the Gospel Side we can be clothed in salvation, Hope of a future, a Eternal Home in Heaven