Summary: Introduction to a study through the book of Acts. Each day we get up and write our own verse of Acts 29. . . does it look like Acts 1-28? *HANDOUT INCLUDED*
Living Acts Chapter 29
Start series by saying “Turn to Acts 29, please. . .” They can’t, there isn’t one!
We are responsible to LIVE Acts 29. Each day we get up, and we pick up a pen and paper, and we write our verse of chapter 29. What does it say? Does it look like the first 28 chapters?
Most of our churches are NOT living Acts 29.
- California church sitting on $2 million property, no services on Sunday, because only 1 person besides (working) pastor comes to church.
- Another church I heard about where the laymen were pushing for an outreach program, and the pastor said “I just don’t think it’s necessary.”
- A member of a church spoke to me recently, telling me that they had a new family coming to church, and asked the pastor if he’d do a Bible study with them on their level. “That’s just not my thing – I don’t feel comfortable with it.”
- A friend of mine grew his church rapidly – and then split off the denomination where he was. . . took in a bunch of new members against the church by-laws so he could get it passed.
THAT’S NOT Acts 29!
Acts 1:1 ¶ The former account I made*, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,
2 until the day in which He was taken up, after He through the Holy Spirit had given commandments to the apostles whom He had chosen,
3 to whom He also presented Himself alive after His suffering by many infallible proofs, being seen by them during forty days and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.
4 And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, "which," He said, "you have heard from Me;
5 "for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."
6 ¶ Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, "Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?"
7 And He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority.
8 "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."
9 Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight.
10 And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel,
11 who also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven."
There are 5 things you need to remember if we are to live in Acts 29:
1. We are the continuation of Jesus’ ministry. “Of all that Jesus both began to do and teach. . .”
This is why we are called - “The body of Christ.”